classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Hillman super minx oil leaks ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
imperial21

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Hillman super minx oil leaks ? Reply with quote

Hi
I should say i have only this week got the Superminx 1964 1725cc, The previous owner said the side plate on the engine is leaking oil, which it is but i am looking at the front of the the engine and i am looking at the timming chain cover which looks like its peeing oil out, the crossmember below its covered in wet oil and the minx is leaving its mark every where outside and in the garage ! I am not going to used the minx till i can sort this out as its getting too messy and think its dangerious for other road users.
Is this a common problem that i just need gaskets for any thing else could be the problem ?

Last edited by imperial21 on Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be the gaskets, also have a look to see if there's a crankcase breather (I don't know the engine). If a breather's blocked, it can cause pressure to build up within the engine, leading to oil leaks.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
kevin2306

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried tightening it all up?
The two access covers (rh side of engine from front) are a common leak but easy enough to sort out, worth checking the rocker cover too.
If you are handy with the spanners it is all easy enough to do, speak with speedy spares for the gaskets.
If you decide to change the two side gaskets it's much easier if you remove the distributor, gives loads more room to work in.

Please start a thread up about you car, we love to hear about them and see pictures

Here is mine

Kevin
imperial21

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kevin i will start thread soon, i am good with the spanners, i have been reading online that there isnt a crank seal and they are known for leaking, Its in the right place for it to be a leak from the the crank i am just trying to gather as much info as i can, i am waiting for a workshop manual to arrive i ordered on ebay.
I have seen information about a modified timing cover but i need more info on that.
Your car looks really nice.

I have only just got this car, i had a Bond Equipe gt 4s that i sold to fund this, I have wanted a minx for a long time and i was starting to find the Equipe uncomfortable so decided why not change !

kevin2306

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking car. Our cars are very closely related although mine has the 1600cc engine with 3 speed BW auto box.

Kev
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice car imperial21, it deserves its own thread Smile

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Minxy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good day Imperial.
Hillmans are renown for leaking oil to various degrees, I managed to get mine down to acceptable level. The side plates distort if they are tightened to much - I took mine off and dressed up the plate around the holes and when reassembled put flat washers on the bolts. The front timing cover, if it's the non seal type, has a reverse worm/spiral to drive the oil back but it is essential that the pulley is central through the cover, I have done this in the past by removing the pulley and cover, wrapping masking tape around the pulley where it passes through the cover until it's a very snug fit, then reassemble tightening the cover bolts, remove the pulley, remove the tape, refit the pulley and tighten.
JohnDale

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Imperial 21. As Minxy says, there is no timing cover oil seal. Another thing that makes it leak, if it hasn't had the correct oil changes, the oil return scroll can get filled with sludge. If you are stripping it also make sure the oil thrower is the correct way round with the dish side facing forward. Minxy's tip for centralising the pulley is essential. Enjoy your new vehicle,all the best,JD.
imperial21

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fitted a new thermostat today, well there wasnt one before which i suspected as it didnt heat up, it runs much better now.
I am wondering if the oil scroll is blocked, the car is supposed to have been stored for a long time, i know the previous changed the oil also i wonder if the oil is the correct grade. I will order the valve cover gasket. I have bought a workshop manual which i am waiting to arrive for more info. I need to see what the oil thrower looks like and how its fitted.
JohnDale

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Imperial, this may help - item number 35 - it's just a slip fit on the crank nose retained by the crank pulley.

Cheers,JD.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imperial21 wrote:
I fitted a new thermostat today, well there wasnt one before which i suspected as it didnt heat up, it runs much better now.

Watch out for that when you get it back on the road properly. There could be a bodged leak somewhere in the cooling system, and the PO has removed the thermostat to try and disguise it. Don't do as I once did, replace the thermostat then find the leak a few days later while driving through the back of beyond - I laugh about it now but it wasn't very funny at the time Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: