classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Somehow got my 1927 Morris Flatnose back home in one piece!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Vintage Crank

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Somehow got my 1927 Morris Flatnose back home in one piece! Reply with quote

My newly acquired 1927 Morris Oxford 14/28 saloon as seen behind a 1987 ex-MOD 110 Landy. Pic taken at dawn the day after a nightmare 18 hour journey from Nottingham to Brighton and back again. Had to collect Morris on a Friday afternoon which meant battling an M25 rush-hour on the return leg that no Northerner should ever have to endure!

The Landy chose that moment to lose 50% of it's power (not that there was ever much to begin with from a 2.5 n/a diesel with 200000 on the clock!) which saw me crawling up the slightest of motorway gradients at 30mph in 3rd gear. People were actually winding down their windows to shout abuse at me when I found myself in the middle of a 6 lane intersection at that speed. Oil temp gauge went off the scale.

I knew I should have gotten around to re-torqueing the head bolts after a recent gasket change. Reminds me of the joke: How many Landrover enthusiasts does it take to change a leaking hub seal? Answer: None, it'll wait another year.

Anyway, hello everybody, this is my first post of many I hope. I'll be posting plenty about the Morris rebuild along the way, plus other projects all slowly getting there.

1927 Morris Oxford Saloon 14/28
1949 Ferguson TED20 tractor and other 1950s
1958 Series 2 Land Rover 88" and various 2a's
1969 Jaguar 420G

Last edited by Vintage Crank on Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
peter scott

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum VC,

I look forward to hearing more about the Oxford.

Peter
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting to see your post, I'll move this into the Your Cars ... Morris category, it'll be easiest to find it in there.

RJ Smile
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Rootes75

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Morris looks good.
Reminds me of our escapades when collecting vehicles.
Vintage Crank

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, I know what you mean about escapades! In my youth, some of the recoveries we did just defied all belief. I recall a terrifying midnight tow home at the wheel of a tiny Fiat 126 behind a big van with a 4ft towrope on frozen snow-covered roads. I had no idea when he was going to turn each time as all I could see was his back doors!

The most ridiculous transportation however, was when we up-ended a VW Beetle (minus engine) on its roof into the back of a Landrover pickup. It kept rocking back and forth, banging me in the back of the head whilst driving. A police car coming from the opposite direction slowed down and both officers just gave us a look that said 'we haven't got enough room in our notebooks to deal with you sonny' and drove on!

These days I can't believe some of the things I thought I could get away with, and often did. Trailers and transporters for me now.

1969 Jaguar 420G
DM

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cracking looking Morris there.

I did tow a smashed 6 month old Hillman avenger home for about 7 miles for my father once with an HA vauxhall.

Had been hit hard in the drivers side front wing, so we could only go straight or turn left without the wheel jamming.

Managed to get home with only one right turn which produced quite a bit of smoke from the tyre.

The police spotted us but left us alone as it was still moving Smile
Keith D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum VC!

I also have a 1927/28 flatnose Morris, but mine is the Cowley. I am currently building a roadster body for it. Quite unusual cars really with their Lucas Dynastarts (combined starter generator) and wet clutches, but solid nonetheless! Yours looks in very good sondition.

Just a question. Don't you find carrying a car backwards on a trailer causes all sorts of snaking problems with the trailer when you try to slow down? With the weight of the engine and transmission behind the trailer axles it takes the weight off the tow ball on the Landrover.

Keith
Vintage Crank

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you should say that, but the engine was actually out of the car and strapped down on the trailer just behind the Morris's rear left wheel, so by default rather than intent I almost got the weight distribution right.

Access for the Landrover/trailer combination was awful and I had to reverse it nearly half a mile up a narrow lane to have any chance of getting back out again (wish I'd shelled out for a transporter van instead) and the Morris was facing the wrong way at the end. It wasn't the easiest of days!

I'll be starting a proper renovation thread shortly for this lovely car but my initial observations are that it's 99% complete and there's nothing needs doing that's beyond my resources, although the woodwork repair will be a steep learning curve (and it needs a fair bit more of that than the photo shows). I'll probably be swapping notes with you as our vehicles were likely sharing some of the same factory floor at some point.

1969 Jaguar 420G
Peter_L

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith D wrote:
Welcome to the forum VC!

I also have a 1927/28 flatnose Morris, but mine is the Cowley. I am currently building a roadster body for it. Quite unusual cars really with their Lucas Dynastarts (combined starter generator) and wet clutches, but solid nonetheless! Yours looks in very good sondition.

Just a question. Don't you find carrying a car backwards on a trailer causes all sorts of snaking problems with the trailer when you try to slow down? With the weight of the engine and transmission behind the trailer axles it takes the weight off the tow ball on the Landrover.

Keith

Ballast !! Wink
mikeC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vintage Crank wrote:

///I'll be starting a proper renovation thread shortly for this lovely car but my initial observations are that it's 99% complete and there's nothing needs doing that's beyond my resources, although the woodwork repair will be a steep learning curve (and it needs a fair bit more of that than the photo shows). I'll probably be swapping notes with you as our vehicles were likely sharing some of the same factory floor at some point.

You might find it helpful to contact Malcolm Dexter who's a long-time Oxford owner in Mapplebeck (Ollerton/Southwell area).

PM me if you want his contact details.
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I also welcome you to our forum. I am looking forward to hearing more about your vintage Morris Oxford.
SpiggyTopes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait to see the first pics ...
minormatt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another owner here... mines a 19th October 28 car and has some features of the 27/28 cars and some of the 1929 cars

It hit the road for the first time a few weekends ago...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: