classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1965 Singer Vogue Mk3 re-commissioning
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
kevin2306

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, due to the tail end of hurricane arse (or whatever it is really called), I had some enforced tinker time in the garage today.
After a quick trip to the skip with some rubbish, I gave the Singer a once over.
Pulled a spark plug to check hows shes running..Lovely and brownish.
I noticed a bit of moisture in the overflow pipe from the radiator cap housing. On taking the rad cap off, I discovered it was in a few parts as opposed to one unit, the riveted part had come adrift. A quick search online and I have sourced a replacement item, New old stock as opposed to a new copy item.

Just goes to prove the value in checking things over I reckon.

Kev
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kevin. I am fairly new to the forum and have been attracted to your thread on this wonderful Singer Vogue. I think it is a true classic in beautiful condition and thank goodness it found it's way into your care. I have now read through all the posts and I have seldom encountered such a methodical and thorough re commissioning. Such attention to detail!

There are no doubt some small jobs that you have not reported here and one thing that I don't remember seeing is tappet adjustment. If you haven't checked the clearances then I would have a look just to be sure the exhaust in particular is not too tight. When I got my car, the previous owner had eliminated tappet noise but had left no clearance at all! You may well have done the tappets in which case please forgive me for mentioning it.

You have something really special there and how lucky were you that the previous owner had the presence of mind to prevent the rust getting in.
kevin2306

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ray,
The clearances were all reset during my ignition problems, making sure timing etc was accurate. She is a lovely car and I can't wait for next season, perhaps she may get a run on New Year's Day but for now is tucked up in the garage.
One job I did this last week was to fit a 'ring' maintenance charger to keep the battery in tip top condition.

Thanks for your kind words and welcome to our lovely forum

Kev
kevin2306

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was working on the recommissioning of my bmw motorbike today, decided as I would be in the garage for a while to fire up the Singer.
Pleased that after a little crank to build the oil pressure up she fired and settled into a nice tick over. Left her to get nice and hot and after a check over tucked her back up under the dust sheet.
Can't wait for springtime!

Kev
kevin2306

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hurrah! Been fettling the Singer over the last week or so, checking this and that but the weather has been wet n cold.
Up early today and it was blue skies and quite warm so, after getting back from the gym the dust sheets were off and the Singer driven out. After letting her warm up we set off. After a few circuits to make sure all was well we both headed off up the Welsh hills.
All working superbly well after the winter lay up and a great drive was had.
On the way home and no more than half a mile from my house, I spotted a rover being worked on that I've not seen before, did a loop and parked up, had a chat with the owner, the car was a gorgeous rover p5 coupe being prepared for mot.
Hopefully a few more miles tomorrow

Kev
kevin2306

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Booked the day off today as I had the Singer in for MOT.
All went well, Lance the tester gave her a thorough inspection and all was deemed to be in order, in fact, the brakes were even better that last years results now they have bedded in properly after her recommission.
Mrs M booked the day off too so we called into Chirk Castle for a celebratory lunch.

After lunch I picked my dad up and went for a great 60 mile drive up and around the Welsh hills, enjoying the sunshine.

Kev
kevin2306

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up early today and got out and about in the Singer. Had a problem with my camera so no pics to post.
Drove some lovely but forgotten about roads locally and popped home after about 2 hours.
Wifey had sorted her stuff out so we went to the Britannia Inn near Llangollen for some lunch. Stopped on the way as I had spotted a Super Minx parked up, had a look then carried on. Good bit of timing for lunch as a old friend was at the Brit in his Sunbeam Tiger. Had a few hours sat chatting in the sunshine watching the Lambretta and Vespa scooters stream past, there was a local scooter club meet up and ride out.
A Morgan club have had a meet up in Llangollen so there were a lot of them about as well.
On the Singer front, she continues to deliver such a lot of pleasure during my trips out and we always make friends with someone or other who comes over for a look and a chat.
After looking at her in the sunshine today I have decided to get her re-sprayed this winter, she is so original but the paintwork lets her down. I have no intention of ever selling her so I am treating the situation as preventative maintenance.

Best ring Fuzz for a Quote then

Kev
kevin2306

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I gave the singer a good check over and a nice wash n polish in readiness for the MOT next Friday.
Once that was done, I took the Sony pull out radio out and changed the 3 Duracell batteries that are fitted and allow the radio to be used out of the car. Slight bit of corrosion on the old batteries so I'm glad I remembered to change them.

Kev :thumbs:
kevin2306

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I have been taking the Singer to the MOT garage, nice leasurly inspection followed by a nice fresh certificate. Went the long way home, parked it in the garage and checked the auto box fluid level.
All good and I think a trip is in order tomorrow afternoon.

Kev
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin2306 wrote:
Today I have been taking the Singer to the MOT garage, nice leasurly inspection followed by a nice fresh certificate. Went the long way home, parked it in the garage and checked the auto box fluid level.
All good and I think a trip is in order tomorrow afternoon.

Kev

Good news!!

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
D4B

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another pass, great news Kevin, well deserved Cool
kevin2306

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D4B wrote:
Another pass, great news Kevin, well deserved Cool

Yeah great news, and further proof that with these old girls, if you do a thorough job when working on them they can be quite easy to live with.
Nice ride out tomorrow

Kev
kevin2306

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a lovely few hours this afternoon cruising about.

Good times

Kev
Penman

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Pontcysyllte???

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
kevin2306

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
Hi
Pontcysyllte???

Yup. Just down the road from my house

Kev
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 13 of 15

Jump to: