classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Oil pressure pipe problems
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
1935Hillman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject: Oil pressure pipe problems Reply with quote

Hello again all,

I have a small problem trying to fit my oil pressure pipe which you may be able to help me with.
I found among my spares a double ended brass fitting which screws nicely into the prewar Hillman engine block. It has a short cut off piece of old pipe with a solder nipple and a brass nut on the other end and both end threads are the same. So far, so good.
I wanted to buy a new nipple and nut so measured the thread. It measures approximately 9.5mm across its major diameter and would appear to have a tpi of 20. By my reckoning this almost certainly makes it a 3/8 bsf but it is not possible to get brass pipe fittings in bsf surely ?
1/8 bsp would be 9.7mm diameter which is possible to believe it could be but is also 28 tpi which is most definitely is not.
The whole thread thing is boiling my noodle quite honestly and I have another similar problem at the gauge end too but I'll come back to that later.
If you can help I would be very very grateful as I am quite held up by what must be a pretty simple matter. Thank you
peter scott

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the block is threaded 3/8" BSF why not just make a little adaptor to screw in and provide you with a BSP connection?

Peter
1935Hillman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter,

That is quite rightly probably the best and quickest solution. It is just a little frustrating when one comes up against a problem with something that must have been fitted to hundreds of thousands, possibly millions of cars over the decades.

Thanks for your reply though Very Happy
1935Hillman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have had more faith !

My very good friend Sue from Flexolite has come up trumps for me. A very nice little adapter piece arrived in the post from her which fits really nicely on the gauge and leaves a very neat 1/8 bsp male fitting to get on to.

Just need to deal with the engine block end and we are sorted. I will be able to get an adapter made as Peter suggests but would just like to explore further the possibility of finding the correct one i.e. as it came from the factory.

Nearly there !

Thanks, Tim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: