classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

E93A head gasket - which way up?? To grease or not to grease
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
ALW Ford Popular

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: E93A head gasket - which way up?? To grease or not to grease Reply with quote

So - I have one manual that says head gasket 'shiny side up' and two that say 'shiny side down' !!

What is the wisdom on this one please ? Also, my dad always used to apply a thin layer of grease to the head gasket when fitting - is this still good practice ?

Many thanks ! Question
ALW Ford Popular

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

o.k - solved this myself - no one appeared to be able to help with this so posting the answer !!

Looking closely at the indentations on the original gasket it appears it was fitted smooth side down - so that is how it went on.

Old manuals mention lightly greasing the copper surfaces - so decided that as long as it was a light smear no harm would come and it would help the 'smoothing' as it was tightened.

All done.
ka

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which kind of gasket did you fit, solid copper, or an amalgam?
Head gaskets usually have stamped on them which way up. If in doubt place the gasket with the folded edges around the cylinders bores.
Greasing is an interesting question, greased gaskets allow slippage to self seat during fitting, I have used silicon sealer, spread thinly over the gasket, allows slippage, but also helps to seal.
Which head tightening sequence did you use? and also remember to re-torque after 50 miles or earlier if the engine has been fully warmed through.

Better three than four.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: