classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

fitting a remote brake servo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
Lanchester 1953

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: fitting a remote brake servo Reply with quote

I was thinking of fitting a remote brake servo to my lanchester, how do they fit and where can I get one, all information welcome please.
kevin2306

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got mine from here

http://www.powertrackbrakes.co.uk/parts.html

Really good quality, be careful as there are some dreadful cheap copies out there.
Mine was a simple fit, pipe out of the master cyl to the unit and another from the unit back to the master cylinder. That just leaves the vacuum iPod from a take off at the manifold etc.
Speak with powertrack, they are a mine of info.

Kev
Peter_L

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years back........... I fitted one to my Dad's 1500cc 105E, quite straightforward and excellent result.
Farmer John

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:38 pm    Post subject: lanchester servo Reply with quote

Hi. You will need to check that yours does not have mechanical brakes on the rear.
John
Lanchester 1953

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: lanchester servo Reply with quote

Farmer John wrote:
Hi. You will need to check that yours does not have mechanical brakes on the rear.
John
Oh dear I have! or at least I suppose so, what difference does that make?
jp928

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brake boosters powered by vacuum only work on hydraulic brakes, so if your brakes are not all hydraulic, fitting a booster would only boost the front brakes. This would most likely give you unbalanced braking, and it would be difficult to correct IMHO. Some older cars used a mechanical servo, driven off the rear of the gearbox, that helped you push the pedal down - RR and Hispano-Suiza come to mind. RR used these up into the 50s at least.

I would ask why you want to get more stopping power? Are you sure that everything related is in very good condition? I once had a car (Rover P2, 47) with Girling pull rod brakes, and found I had to deglaze, roughen the linings several times a year to keep the brakes in tip-top condition.

jp
Lanchester 1953

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jp928 wrote:
Brake boosters powered by vacuum only work on hydraulic brakes, so if your brakes are not all hydraulic, fitting a booster would only boost the front brakes. This would most likely give you unbalanced braking, and it would be difficult to correct IMHO. Some older cars used a mechanical servo, driven off the rear of the gearbox, that helped you push the pedal down - RR and Hispano-Suiza come to mind. RR used these up into the 50s at least.

I would ask why you want to get more stopping power? Are you sure that everything related is in very good condition? I once had a car (Rover P2, 47) with Girling pull rod brakes, and found I had to deglaze, roughen the linings several times a year to keep the brakes in tip-top condition.

jp
I am getting old and have knee problems, a little help would be nice.
jp928

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can suggest there is, at the next opportunity, get softer linings fitted (if there are softer available), and ensure that all linkages are in good condition and set angles are optimal. With mixed hydraulic/mechanical brakes there is not much to be done- have been here with a Rover P3.

jp
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: