classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

wiring mess
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
badhuis

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: wiring mess Reply with quote

There was a topic a while ago about DIY wiring and why people take no effort in doing it properly.
Here is a good example of an " inviting" engine bay....:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/mgb-gt-1800-/282110145423?hash=item41af13338f:g:mIQAAOSwbsBXkyh-
jp928

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly is! I think this sort of case is actually worse than a completely missing loom in many ways. While my car has a much simpler layout (1926 Rover), once I have absorbed the wiring diagram I can make it as neat as possible with no distractions, and modernize parts to make it easier to maintain. You will need to work out whats a fudge to bypass a problematic piece of wiring, and whats leftover from a previous owners additions/mods etc before you can resolve how to fix it. Try getting a look at the engine bay of the same model that hasnt been monstered, or even get a new engine bay loom.

jp
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at that I'm pretty sure it would be easier - and certainly more reliable in the long run - to rip it all out and start again. Why do some people think that kind of mess is acceptable?
peppiB

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must admit to being a culprit for something similar. Embarassed About 3 years ago I couldn't start the landcrab and traced the fault to a broken wire in the loom. I ran a new replacement wire from the ignition to the coil and it worked fine.
I just haven't got around to incorporating said wire into the loom. It stares me in the face with its bright orange colour every time I lift the bonnet - but it works and if i disturb it, it may not work

Only me looks under the bonnet so I am just leaving it for now. Anyway it is painful and awkward doing such jobs from a wheelchair!
jp928

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO your crime is more than cancelled out by your effort in diagnosing and correcting the fault on your own. What would pull you well into the positive side of the ledger would be, next time you look under the bonnet, fit a label to the offending wire indicating why it is there! Then Nobody down the track should complain.

See if you can find on old Aussie bush movie called 'Bush Mechanics'.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wspwBcuOZFg

jp
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: