classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Tuning by Vacuum Gauge
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
ianm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:02 am    Post subject: Tuning by Vacuum Gauge Reply with quote

G'day all
I was going through a old workshop manual and found this chart a old mech gave me when I was a apprentice its a copy out of a Popular Mechanics book. I have tried it and it does work but you need a well calibrated gauge. Ian Smile
47p2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That brings back memories.
I had a vacuum gauge fitted to a car on the 70s and used the gauge to tune the carbs, set the timimg and watch the state of play. Also great fun as a spotty youth watching the needle plip from 21 to 0 and back as you blipped the throttle. Also watching how high past the 21 it would go when travelling downhill and dropping down a gear or two Very Happy

These gauges were sometimes called econometers and had 3 coloured areas, red, amber and green. Obviously you tried to drive with the gauge in the green area and therefore preserve fuel.

This is one which I still have lying around of the half gauge variety (not as nice as the full gauge as per your pictures). This gauge was fitted to my Rover when I bought it, but far too modern so it had to be taken off

Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

47p2 wrote:
.. These gauges were sometimes called econometers ..

Were the Redex gauges called econometers? I can't remember without going in the garage to check Question

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
47p2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure Rick, there were a few companies who marketed them. I remember my fathers friend who drove a 1966 Cambridge and he had an econometer fitted.
ianm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee Rick, Redex gauges I can remember them but not sure how they worked, but I can remember the Redex Trials around Australia and "Gelignite Jack Murray"one of the charaters.
The Redex Gauge I'm refering was a flat cream painted red scaled board with a glass tube simular to a thermometer , I don't know whether it was a vacuum gauge or it metered the quantity of the additive as you drove along. From memory it was attached to the dash board and was on a Ä"Model Ford which the Ford Dealer I worked for owned

Ian
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or do you mean an econometer like this one?

47p2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the sort of thong UJ. Is that an OE on your car?

My Mercedes S-Class W140 had a built in econometer. It never helped the fuel consumption which seldom went above 20mpg
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a factory option for floor change automatic 300's. If the car had been a manual, then the econometer would have been a rev counter.
RogerB

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: RedeX Oil Additive Reply with quote

Ianm.
Going back to your 2008 'post' ;would you have the date of the Practical Mechanics' magazine you referred to please?
Rogerb
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: