classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1725 Hillman engine - fumes in rocker cover?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel H wrote:
PAUL BEAUMONT wrote:
This brings back memories! About 25 years ago a mate of mine, in a similar rash moment bought a similar motor, probably through Exchange and Mart in those pre-Ebay days. It looked tidy enough and he was pleased enough with it, but to me it ran on 3 cylinders. I goaded him about this for a bit until he finally gave in and removed the cylinder head. There was no no.3 piston! just a carefully fitted wooden plug. The vendor had even cut off the con-rod and bolted the remains aroung the crank to maintain oil pressure. He was less than amused and my hystertia did not help matters.
So Bellisin, just be thankful that you have compression on all 4! Laughing

Paul

Reminds me of a letter I saw published in a 1960's Motor magazine, where the reader purchased a Wolseley 6/90 from a car auction which according to the auctioneer was "mechanically sound apart from a slight misfire". After driving the car home on five cylinders he proceeded to investigate the trouble and found out there was no gap on plug no.2, so after gapping and replacing it he turned the car over on the solenoid which caused an explosion inside the engine and the dipstick to literally fly out, spraying him in oil. So after dropping the sump it turned out there was neither piston nor con-rod attached to number 2 journal (which was scored beyond recognition), the oil-way had been clogged with filler and bound together with masking tape (presumably to keep the oil pressure up), and the plug had been pinched together to in order to prevent combustion. Shocked

Curious this, because I can vouch that exactly the same thing happened around 1965 to one of my neighbours. Though that car was a rather nice looking Riley Pathfinder.
Jim.
Lanchester 1953

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first car was a 1949 Prefect. It poured smoke from the breather pipe and used a huge amount of oil and petrol. So I decided to fit new rings, when I pulled the pistons out, each single ring was in about 3 separate pieces . I expected a huge difference with the new rings, but the improvement was barely noticeable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: