classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

B&B hitch
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Chevit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: B&B hitch Reply with quote

Hi all,

Having now sorted the brakes and cables I rebuilt the hitch with bits from Trailer Parts Banbury and others. The hitch is all back together now but if I lift up or push down on the hitch there is up and down or side to side movement along the drawbar. Is this acceptable, is there a maximum and minimum defection / movement.

I'm starting to think it's worn but I don't have any tolerance to work to.

Grateful for any advice, thank you.
christine lowery

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the beta hitch is held in by large pins but the sigma one is only held by split clips
should be ok if a beta
chris
Chevit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Christine,

It's a BETA 4. It's held together through the middle with a collar and some spilt rings. That's as secure as I would hope, the play is in the lack of interference between the drawbar and the two holes front and rear. I can get movement along the bar by pulling the hitch up and down or side to side. I'm not sure if it's excess play or acceptable, if it was on a car I would be looking for a replacement but I have no idea on a caravan.....

All thoughts welcome....
Chevit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject: Alternative Reply with quote

Assuming there is excess wear in this Beta4 has anyone swapped one out for a suitable modern alternative? If so, is there one to go for that picks up on the original braking system?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: