classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Restoring - Super Minx MkIII - 1965
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
CWhaley1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject: Restoring - Super Minx MkIII - 1965 Reply with quote

Hi all,

I joined up a few months ago with my purchase of a '65 Super Minx, 1592cc with need of work. I have since bought another in the last few days (see pics) and this one needs much less work to get her close to original condition. I'm considering whether to sell the first Minx or use as a donor parts car simply given the amount of work that needs doing to the body.

Jobs done so far:

Fix to window regulators. Neither would wind up/down, however both now close.
New spark plugs
New Rocker Cover gasket (old one just crumbled off)
New top and bottom radiator hoses
New pipe to heater (old one was trapping throttle cable linkage, meaning the throttle was sticking - sounded like I was resting my foot on the pedal...

Jobs to do:

Switch polarity to negative earth
New rotor arm, condenser, etc. on distributor plus new coil and leads
Investigate front exhaust leak (she runs very loudly!!!)
Investigate rough/spluttering idle
Tidy up of inside
Fit complete carpet set
Repaint (Craftmaster Hand Paint)

She came with lots of history including the original receipt and service voucher book, stacks of service invoices, MoT history, etc. She was once in the Hillman Owners Club and featured at the show in Crich, Derbys. in 2010.

Will post more pictures when I can.

Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the rear end photo, the paint has a very appealing glow of originality to it - is it in really bad condition? I also like the faded original numberplates too - nice find!

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
CWhaley1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been told it is the original paint and I have a strong feeling that is true! Aside from being mucky and in need of a careful wash, generally it is in fairly good condition all over although there are small areas of rust.

Plan is to treat all areas of rust until I have a part-painted, part-bare metal car. I will then start the painting panel by panel.

Co-incidentally putting an offer in on a house today that has a long garage, so would be the perfect place for the work.
kevin2306

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting how the manufacturer played with the styling of these cars back in the day, on mine, different light clusters and chrome wait strip give a subtly different look.
yours is a lovely looking motor and I would be looking at preserving as is without repainting?
whats the engine bay and interior like?

kevin
CWhaley1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely love the Singer! Something about Rootes cars I really like, hence buying two I suppose... Sometimes the design differences were so subtle.

I actually prefer the extra chrome trim your car has that mine doesn't to the rear. I originally though the chrome had been painted over by a previous owner, but I've seen pictures of two others with the same work on the back.

Engine bay is rust-free, tidy, just needs a clean/de-grease. Oil is looking very clean under the rocker cover too. Only trouble is the air filter doesn't secure to the top of the carb so it spins/rattles when driving! Not sure what to do about this...

Interior needs new carpets (I have these) and a repair to the vinyl seats - that's it! Aside from a general clean/tidy The floor plates are completely rust-free and dry.

Will post some pictures this week. Seeing other users' cars is inspiration/drive for my project
CWhaley1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been doing a bit of work on her over the weekend. All of the distributor parts were looking tired, so I spent the day replacing the contact breaker, condenser, leads, cap, coil and plugs which resulted in no problems starting up. Still a major leak at the manifold/downpipe area so I bought a new seal from Speedy's (£2) and had a local garage fit for me.

Unfortunately the thread is pretty poor on the two flange bolts, so I'm going to have two new ones threaded and put back on with high temperature silicone inside, the should hopefully stop the leak and result in less noise and better running.

Also started looking at the paintwork, to give me an idea of the work ahead. The areas with no surface rust seem to be fairly good under the layer of moss/dirt. The below picture shows the difference on the boot after cleaning and polishing with Auto Glym.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: