classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Removing exhaust manifold
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
Bill Harrison

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Removing exhaust manifold Reply with quote

Hi, I'm trying to remove the manifold on a Lea Francis 12/22 with 4 cylinder meadows engine. I think someone has used exhaust paste on the gaskets and I'm having trouble shifting, any ideas? Hot ? Don't want to use too much force and crack anything.
peter scott

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bill,

The best solution would be if you can remove all the studs. You can then lever it off without fear of cracking the manifold as the exhaust compound will be much weaker than the manifold casting.

If you can't remove the studs then there will still be a small amount of free movement before you are actually stressing the flanges on the studs so you could try light tapping at the exhaust pipe flange. You want to exert a shock without excessive movement so small sharp taps with a heavy hammer but with limited hammer movement. A bit like a pulled punch.

HTH

Peter
Peter_L

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a very stubborn exhaust manifold and as per Peter S suggestion was able to remove the studs. Some of them got damaged and one sheared off but the amount of rust on them showed that they were contributing to the manifold being held fast. I carefully hammered a few "Stanley" knife blades between the manifold and head and the manifold popped off. I had some thin rope tied around the manifold as a precaution against it dropping off whilst both hands were occupied elsewhere.

The big hammer "shock" is much better than a smaller hammer that does nothing more than risk local cracking.
CWhaley1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I bought my Super Minx, it sounded like a stock car - there was a leak of exhaust gasses at the manifold to downpipe flange. The previous owner had clearly tried to bodge it as there was dried-up filler flaking off the flange.

I took it to a local garage who removed the two studs/nuts holding it together. They did this by taking the car up on a lift and using an extension bar and 14mm socket to take the bolts out (with the help of Fast Release spray) - they barely had any thread left on them so the seal wasn't tight.

First thing we did was replace the metal doughnut seal which had broken in half. My next job is to put two new studs on (from Speedy Spares) and apply a layer of high temperature sealant (up to 1200 degrees C).

I'm hoping this will seal the leak and cure the compression problem I have which results in a rough/hunting idle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: