classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

"Lost" XKSS to be re-created by Jaguar
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
colwyn500

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lowdrag wrote:
these cars, however subjectively, existed and theoretically still exist.

Whatever happens will happen I suppose...money talks. But please don't take a difference of opinion as provocation...the world's too full of that already.Very Happy
I just find it hard to accept the suggestion that something non-existent still exists. If I scrap my car, no way will the DVSA let me scratch the VIN on another car and the same rules should be applied universally.
I still think the concept is wonderful.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I'm not offended because we each have own take on things, and personally I find that the world I have enjoyed and loved has changed into one I know not. Kids like me ran up to a car with the words "Cor, what'll it do mister?" but now the usual chant is "Cor, what's it worf mister?".

This car was built a few years back and curiously is now in the possession of Jaguar themselves. It is a full-on replica with FIA papers, as good as those now to be built by Jaguar yet £900,000 less. To cut short a long story, 20 years ago a friend came to see me in a 911 Turbo 18 months old with 2,000 on the clock. He'd been given it by the owner of the house he had worked at for a good job done. The owner of the house, in Hampstead, owned over 40 cars. Yet he was only 15 yrs old. When there is that much money sloshing around a mere million isn't even pocket money. We are all doomed, I tell ye. Doomed I say.

A thought. The first XKSS was sold last year and the owner is having it remodelled to copy the Steve McQueen car. I wonder how many of the rich prats buying the new ones will ask for the same?

Rich5ltr

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lowdrag wrote:
...I find that the world I have enjoyed and loved has changed into one I know not. Kids like me ran up to a car with the words "Cor, what'll it do mister?" but now the usual chant is "Cor, what's it worf mister?".
With several cars these days it's "Is it a real one mister?" Very Happy
Maxakarudy

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: "Lost" XKSS to be re-created by Jaguar Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
Evening all,

Who makes the bodies for these? Maybe forum-er lowdrag has more info?

RJ

JLR don't make them in house
SV8Predator

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich5ltr wrote:
lowdrag wrote:
...I find that the world I have enjoyed and loved has changed into one I know not. Kids like me ran up to a car with the words "Cor, what'll it do mister?" but now the usual chant is "Cor, what's it worf mister?".

I'm with you on this one. There's posters in (for example) Pistonheads and other forums that regularly refer to their "XKSS" or their "D-Type", when they own nothing of the sort. They're referring to replicas or kit cars.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SV8Predator wrote:
Rich5ltr wrote:
lowdrag wrote:

I'm with you on this one. There's posters in (for example) Pistonheads and other forums that regularly refer to their "XKSS" or their "D-Type", when they own nothing of the sort. They're referring to replicas or kit cars.

I'd heard that a gent locally had a genuine D, but rarely took it out. This info from someone who is interested in old cars. One evening said vehicle turned up at a pub meet, and from 100 paces it was clearly a copy. It sounded glorious enough, but there was no way in the world that it was the real mccoy.

A check online of its (pre-prefix) reg. confirmed my hunch.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps we should go back to basics. Car manufacturers build cars for a reason and one reason only; to make money. Some will be loss leaders. We may have a personal opinion about the ethics involved but the determining factor will be essentially the profit motive. Anything else is peripheral.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reviving this thread for a reason. It seems that Jaguar are now taking a hard line on replicas being built, four companies at least having received a "cease and desist" letter from Jaguar's solicitors. These include Realm, who for years have made fibre glass kits for C-types, D-types and XKSSs. Neville Swales, who builds copies of XJ13 has also received one I hear. So, will we no longer be able, using words with which I always finished my articles, to "live the dream"? I have always been passionate about the racing history of Jaguar but like 99% of us could never dream of owning a real one, which is why I am now on my fourth replica. But even those, including the one replica left to me now, I could never afford at today's prices. Going back to a previous post, I did once do a favour and deliver something to a house in the south of England, and I was driving my Mk 1 saloon. The owner, living in a nice estate, asked if I would like to see his garage. Inside was a real D-type and 250 GT Ferrari!

I always say that my car is a Lynx replica, but even the word replica should be "pastiche" since it doesn't replicate, but does copy, (it has IRS from an E-type for example) but in general conversation I suppose we say for example, "my XKSS" as a form of shorthand. Much easier than "My Lynx XKSS built from the wreck of a 2+" RHD E-type." It is not said to deceive. The car was on display for the JEC at Nantes last weekend (with a fully explanatory description) and we were very heartened by how many younger people came to see us and were very interested in the technical side, and not once did someone ask "what's it worf mister". Maybe there is a future for our cars.

And Rick, there are a few people who could build a shell for an XKSS or D or C. RS Panels of Nuneaton and CKL of Battle to name but two. The latter built the shell for my replica (and it did replicate in this instance) "Kettle" C-type.

Another point on replicas. Goodwood invite replicas - as long as they have FIA papers - to participate at Goodwood if an original example no longer exists. I was invited twice, and saw a shark-nose Ferrari and two Lancia_Ferraris there the same year.
alastairq

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of which I find rather sad....

Nothing to do with what I have noted as an increase{?} in the numbers of[ex?] companies that have often long since ceased car automotive production, but are advertising the building of replicas of their old products [for huge sums....well, beyond a pensioner's means, anyway]...with nods to modernity for legislative reasons....??
Alvis, for one?

Can't see Ford hand-building replicas of the Ford Pop, somehow...
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the only way to resolve this issue will be for the present "Jaguar" company to prove it's case in court.

A while back I noticed the name "Jaguar" was dropped from Suffolk replicas and replaced with their own. I can appreciate how a company might wish to protect it's current trade name - or even revived model name - but to try and hang onto past names seems petty and vindictive to me; especially when the company involved is several times removed from the original marque.

The original Jaguar company, I seem to recall, were themselves prevented from using the Mark6 model name because of similarities to the then current Bentley model. How ironic that they should now try to push their weight around in this bullying fashion.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reviving it again to let you know that Neville Swales has called Jaguar's bluff. Having had a "cease and desist" letter from Jaguar's solicitors, he has argued the case that the XJ13 was never made subject to copyright, and you may have seen his updated model in coupé form which was due to race in the Le Mans Classic this year. (You might find that a trifle strange too). He has finally lost patience with Jaguar and I hear he has told them to sue and be damned.

I'll take the moment to reply to an earlier post. The bodies for the XKSS cars were, I believe, made by Pearsons.

Finally, a number of owners of high nett worth cars have and are having replicas made for racing purposes. It is sad, but that is the way of the world now, and these owners do not want to risk the originals. This even applies to road events such as the Mille Miglia. The 1956-winning short nose Ecurie Ecosse D-type, probably the most original D-type in the world, was sold 18 months back for $22 million. I doubt anyone would want to risk that car in competition racing. But people want to see cars racing, so better replicas - FIA-papered ones at that - than nothing at all. The Revival D-type race a few years back was stuffed with them. They may have D-type chassis numbers, but they are not what they seem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: