classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

For the model collector who has just about everything!
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Your Adverts & Ebay 'finds'
47Jag

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was to get away from the troublesome column shift which as I recall was a cable for the gate selection and a rod to engage the gear. I know on my Austin A70 the cable was always working loose down at the steering box.

Art
Riley Blue

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very optimistic (or oportunistic) pricing on the part of the seller considering it was auctioned last week for a hammer price of £1,200, see Lot 883

http://www.gth.net/uploads/files/en-GB/02_12_160.PDF

1963 Riley 1.5
1965 Riley 1.5
peter scott

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He probably didn't like it when it tore the trouser leg of his very expensive suit.

Peter Rolling Eyes
Uncle Alec

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason for the RH gearchange was to accommodate three abreast on the front bench seat.
alastairq

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My memory may well be faulty now, but I feel sure the Pathfinder I had use of back in the very early 1970's, not only had a manual [right hand gear lever] gearbox, but, also, overdrive.

I can find no mention of overdrive being offered as an option, but I haven't looked very hard.
Peter_L

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
My memory may well be faulty now, but I feel sure the Pathfinder I had use of back in the very early 1970's, not only had a manual [right hand gear lever] gearbox, but, also, overdrive.
I can find no mention of overdrive being offered as an option, but I haven't looked very hard.

Per my previous post.
http://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/car_info_riley_pathfinder

Scroll down to the images and in small writing on the right, it mentions Borg Warner Overdrive as optional extra.
Uncle Alec

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, from 1956 overdrive was offered as an option. It required a chassis modification so would be extremely problematic to retro-fit unless you either remove the body or set about some radical floor redesign.
A contemporary factory advert mentions an automatic option, but no-one has ever seen or heard of it in the flesh.
alastairq

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that....faith in memory is restored. Smile

Now, for the next vague memory......IIRC, the overdrive could be downshifted by smartly depressing the accelerator pedal....to activate a 'switch'{?}....in the same way, a kick-down operates on an automatic glue box?

Would that be correct too?
badhuis

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
Now, for the next vague memory......IIRC, the overdrive could be downshifted by smartly depressing the accelerator pedal....to activate a 'switch'{?}....in the same way, a kick-down operates on an automatic glue box?

Would that be correct too?

That is what my Westminster A110 with overdrive also has. It is an actual electric switch. Incorporated in the circuit is also the fact that the ignition will be switched off for a very short time in order to cushion the change to direct drive. Ingenious!
petelang

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure my Uncle had an automatic one. It was one of the last made he said. It was in silver grey two tone. A beautiful car. It formerly belonged to a Director of Plessey and my uncle bought it on being made redundant from there and started his own Engineering company. Guess he had delusions of grandeur! He didn't keep it long, chopped in for a VP Princess 4 ltr Rolls.
My dad (his elder brother) said it was a stupid choice of car as it was too long to park in our driveway when they came over at Christmas, and told him off for showing off!
But, I loved it, and wish it could have been handed down to me.....
Peter
petelang

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure my Uncle had an automatic one. It was one of the last made he said. It was in silver grey two tone. A beautiful car. It formerly belonged to a Director of Plessey and my uncle bought it on being made redundant from there and started his own Engineering company. Guess he had delusions of grandeur! He didn't keep it long, chopped in for a VP Princess 4 ltr Rolls.
My dad (his elder brother) said it was a stupid choice of car as it was too long to park in our driveway when they came over at Christmas, and told him off for showing off!
But, I loved it, and wish it could have been handed down to me.....
Peter
Penman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Did the BW overdrive also have a freewheel feature?
I had a Mk 1 A55 with O/D and that did, it had an electric switch but also a mechanical lever/handle. But you could only get out of the freewheel when pulling not when freewheeling which could get a bit hairy if the downhill was steeper than you expected.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Your Adverts & Ebay 'finds' All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: