classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Brake drum problems
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
petelang

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject: Brake drum problems Reply with quote

I wonder if anyone in this group may have any brake equipment catalogues dating back to the 1930's who could assist in identifying what brake drums were fitted to an Armstrong Siddeley Fifteen Long 1933.
I have a serious ovality problem and regrettably no spares and old parts for Siddeley models rarely appear. I'm hoping that the same drum may have been applied to other models of the era to a able me to widen the search scope.
Does anyone know of a supplier in the East Midlands or close who might be able to true up oval drums?
Fingers crossed.
Peter
Kenham

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know how much out of round they are, anyone with a lathe can skim them.
Peter_L

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake drum problems Reply with quote

petelang wrote:
Does anyone know of a supplier in the East Midlands or close who might be able to true up oval drums?
Fingers crossed.
Peter

This company is not in your exact area but they do advertise that they do metal spraying and grinding for brake drums. A search in your area may lead to someone closer.
I have no connection with or knowledge of the company
www.thurstonengineering.co.uk/

When I worked for the water authority we would sometimes have large centrifugal pump shafts sprayed and reground because a bearing had spun on the shaft.
greenbeam

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pete,
I've found the owner's handbook has some very useful diagrams in it. They expected a lot of owners back then Smile. Do you have the handbook for your car?

I have some pdfs of prewar brochures etc, but nothing in there about brake drums, sorry.

Regards,
Paul.
petelang

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul. Yes I have the "Book of the Long Fifteen" but on brakes it's a bit limited.
All good things come to those who wait though, and just yesterday I observe someone has an advert up for a Fifteen rear axle, with brakes and drums.
So fingers crossed I can afford it...
Peter
jp928

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you measure a few things it will be much easier to search.
Diameter and width of drum, eg last Girling front drums used by Rover were 11" dia, 3" wide working face. Rears were 11" dia x 2.25" wide.
Then you need wheel bolt specs - no of studs and pitch circle diameter (PCD), eg 5x4.5". There may still be oddities like dishing of the mounting face - you can document this by measuring inside the drum from the mounting face to the back edge where it is close to the back plate.
Once you have these it will be much easier to narrow your search.

jp 26 Rover 9
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: