classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

103e propshaft compatible with 100e gearbox
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: 103e propshaft compatible with 100e gearbox Reply with quote

Is the propshaft ( torque tube ? )of the 103e compatible with the 100e gearbox?

Or 100e prop compatible with the 103e rear axle
alastairq

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 103e propshaft compatible with 100e gearbox Reply with quote

Paul fairall wrote:
Is the propshaft ( torque tube ? )of the 103e compatible with the 100e gearbox?

Or 100e prop compatible with the 103e rear axle

No.

&, no.

The 100E gearbox has a tailshaft, and is designed for a Hardy-Spicer-type propshaft

The 103E has a torque tube axle.

The gearbox parts look identical [discounting the tail shaft]....but actually , some bits are, some bits are not.

The differences internally focus on the tailshaft.

What also differs are the 1st and 2nd gear ratios [3rd, or 'top', is direct on all Ford gearboxes with but 3 gears inside].

A way of obtaining lower 1st & 2nd gear ratios is by mixing & matching the input shaft/gears, and the lay shaft gears.

Some [but not all] 100E gearbox 2nd gears have bigger synchro cones....so may not be compatible with E93A gearboxes [what you have, in the 103E]

I enclose a link to the Dellow Register web site page, which has a table listing all the various gear ratios for E93A and 100E gearboxes....

http://media.wix.com/ugd/7c7e52_0895eb1b9f6244a0b847d799e24543de.pdf

http://media.wix.com/ugd/7c7e52_58e2391f34484e0680b3b3c57a474461.pdf

2nd one is the exploded diagram of the E93A gearbox.

If your 'box hasn't been changed, then your ratios are in the 2nd column.

A set of Buckler gear ratios will cost you your house.

They are for racing or fast road use, in a lightweight car.

I would not recommend them in a standard saloon.

Note, the 100E ratios [1st & 2nd] are much lower than yours...the very last ones being even lower. The 100E range were heavier than the Pops, with but 36 bhp at scream-yer-nutz-off revs....so Ford lowered the 1st two ratios to help it get moving.

When developing sidevalve upright Fords, or specials [or Dellows]...for trials use [where low 1st gear ratios are favourite, for getting up the sections]...the 1st step is to get an 8 hp gearbox...then, mix 'n match internals from one of the 100E boxes.

To find out what ratios one has with these boxes, take the tops off, and count the teeth...on the input gear....and the one it turns.

Then look them up in that table.

The 100E box isn't any stronger than the E93A gearbox.

The torque tube axle/drive is probably better than the 100E.
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I suspected they wouldn't match.
alastairq

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why were you considering a 100E gearbox anyway?

Incidentally, an 'upgrade' for the Pop can be, to fit a 'decent' 100E engine, in place of the 10hp [or, 8 hp?] engine.

Even in standard form, there would be a modest power gain, and the addition of an in-built water pump.....plus, modestly better oil filtration.

It fits well...but, the E93A gearbox needs one modification....and that is, to cut off the lump on it's right side, to make room for the 100E's starter motor bendix gear. [the 10HP starter cannot be used, straigh forwardly, with the 100E...and there's no point, either.]

The 100E clutch needs to be used too......anyway, it is supposed to have stronger springs than the E93A clutch...but nowadays it seems they are all the same....[rationalisation of components?]
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
Why were you considering a 100E gearbox anyway?

Incidentally, an 'upgrade' for the Pop can be, to fit a 'decent' 100E engine, in place of the 10hp [or, 8 hp?] engine.

Even in standard form, there would be a modest power gain, and the addition of an in-built water pump.....plus, modestly better oil filtration.

It fits well...but, the E93A gearbox needs one modification....and that is, to cut off the lump on it's right side, to make room for the 100E's starter motor bendix gear. [the 10HP starter cannot be used, straigh forwardly, with the 100E...and there's no point, either.]

The 100E clutch needs to be used too......anyway, it is supposed to have stronger springs than the E93A clutch...but nowadays it seems they are all the same....[rationalisation of components?]
i saw a 100e engine and gearbox for sale but to only use the engine would be too expensive. I may find an engine in the future I can fettle to get a little more oomph.
Rene

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For more oumpf use a blower and a nitrous kit..........that will draw some attention Very Happy
Rene

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all about oumpf
alastairq

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul fairall wrote:

i saw a 100e engine and gearbox for sale but to only use the engine would be too expensive. I may find an engine in the future I can fettle to get a little more oomph.

If the engine/gearbox were a reasonable price, then why not sell the gearbox on?

Have you joined the Ford Sidevalve Owners Club yet? http://www.fsoc.co.uk/

It has huge resources available to members, and a half-decent 100E engine will be easy enough to find.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I right in thinking that the 100E's starter is on the opposite side of the engine to that on the E93A? Just a vague recollection I have. Whether it'd cause any installation issues I'm not sure, I know on the E83W with the offset engine it could cause problems.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
Paul fairall wrote:

If the engine/gearbox were a reasonable price, then why not sell the gearbox on?

It has huge resources available to members, and a half-decent 100E engine will be easy enough to find.
i made an offer but no response and the price asked is too much. I am about to join fsoc.
ka

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The starter is on the same side, but a more modern relay type, still Bendix system at the end.
Before you 'upgrade' to a 100e, it is worth considering the engine is around 40lbs heavier.
I have driven with both, and a lightly modified 10hp with deliver the same outright power as a 100e, but with more torque, I spent my time, and a little money on the 10hp, sweeter engine all round.

Better three than four.
ka

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a book on engine tuning, try the 'Cooper' tuning guide. an entire book on the engine, or the 'The ford ten competition engine' by Philip H Smith. Good basic to advanced engine tuning, if by today standards dated. Take a look on the Briggs and Stratton web site, where the sidevalves have been tuned for lawnmower racing!

Better three than four.
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks KA
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
Paul fairall wrote:

if I go with the 100e engine and have to use the starter, would I need a solenoid for it and is it still 6v. I assume the clutch will operate with what's in the car now?
alastairq

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
if I go with the 100e engine and have to use the starter, would I need a solenoid for it and is it still 6v. I assume the clutch will operate with what's in the car now?

Yes, you'll need a solenoid switch. They are easy to come by, and wire up.

It can be screwed to the bulkhead, above the starter.

They are 12 volt.

The linkage from clutch pedal to clutch remains the same. Use the 100E clutch itself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: