classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Type of paint
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
Rollmop

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: Type of paint Reply with quote

Hi. I am new to this forum so please excuse me if this has all been covered before. I am in the process of putting a 1951 Lanchester into working order and have reached the stage where certain paint areas need attention. I don't think the paint on the car is original but may have had a brief spray coat 25 years ago. I have tried cellulose paint in an unseen area and it has "lifted" the original paint to give a crackle finish.
Is there any type of modern paint which will not react with what is already in place. I don't want to go down the path of a complete strip off and respray for what essentially are just a few areas that need attention.
Any help at all would be gratefully accepted.
norustplease

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds as if your car had a repaint in an oil based paint, if the cellulose is reacting, oil over celly is usually okay, but Cellulose needs a similar base to avoid a chemical reaction.
You could use an isolator (see your paint factor for recommendations) which will provide a compatible layer over the old paint However blending in would be an issue with the final coat and you would be stuck with painting complete panels.
Alternatively you could try someone like Craftsmaster who might be able to match your paint with something suitable in the way of coach paint.
Boring Tucson SUV
ajlelectronics

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ultimate aswer has to be, fetch it off and start again. If there is really no way that will happen then flat it to 320 dry and use Lechlar epoxy primer over the top. Start with a couple of dust coats and don't thin the first ones. Then refinish as desired. Barcoat used to be the recommendation but you can't flat that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: