classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Alternator with power steering pump
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
trampintransit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:33 pm    Post subject: Alternator with power steering pump Reply with quote

Here's one I've never thought about before....

I want to replace the tired old Lucas dynamo with one of these Dynamo-lookalike alternators. At the moment I can't find one with a drive take off on the back for the power steering pump.

Since I can't really afford the lookalike right now ( since I'm getting one of these geared starter motor and tyres too!) I'm thinking...temporarily pop down the breakers and get an alternator off...whatever...and use that.

Now...I've seen alternators with power steering pumps on the back on modern-ish cars...but are the pumps pretty generic? Will any pump do...is the pressure of the pump critical? Do modern power steering pumps run at much highr or lower pressures?

Interesting stuff?
47Jag

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do a search on Jag_lovers there are people there who have been there done that using Nissan bits (I think).

ART
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fairway taxi (nissan engine as standard) has an alternator with a vacuum pump on the back of it.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baconsdozen wrote:
My fairway taxi (nissan engine as standard) has an alternator with a vacuum pump on the back of it.

That's a new one on me. What's the resulting vacuum used for?
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brake servo - as diesels cannot create vacuum. Rover P5's BMC Vanden Plas have the same power steering pump on the back of the dynamo and the slotted end of armature and presumably the fitting drillings are on the power steering versions of the Dynamotors? These were available last year when I looked

The pump itself was used well into the late 70's but mounted remotely and the pressure can be adjusted. They are generic but it depends on the steering type eg Rack or Box
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil - Nottingham wrote:
Brake servo - as diesels cannot create vacuum. Rover P5's BMC Vanden Plas have the same power steering pump on the back of the dynamo and the slotted end of armature and presumably the fitting drillings are on the power steering versions of the Dynamotors? These were available last year when I looked

The pump itself was used well into the late 70's but mounted remotely and the pressure can be adjusted. They are generic but it depends on the steering type eg Rack or Box

I confess I know very little about diesels - I understand the basic compression ignition principle and that's about it. On the odd occasions I've driven diesel vehicles for work the maintenance has been taken care of by other people so I've had no opportunity or need to learn any more. How is it, then, that diesels can't create a vacuum?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: