classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1948 Alvis TA-14 DHC
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Penman

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Appologies if you are already aware of this.

When reassembling don't forget that the aluminium and steel should be insulated from each other to avoid galvanic corrosion. this includes insulating bolts..

It is just possible that previous insulation had disappeared before you disassembled it.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
pryantcc

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Penman!
Thanks for the tip! I hand't thought about the bolts! There are 2 points where an aluminium plate is bolted to a steel cross-member. I cut 2 rectangles from an old plastic oil can & put them between the two metals. However, I used stainless bolts without insultation. Does this make my plastic insulators redundant?

Thanks,
Paul.
Car-Nut

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent project thread.....

I think who gave you the car will be very proud of you
great job so far, I look forward to reading more....

Also envious of your garage space Laughing
'70 420G - 17th from last RHD
pryantcc

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Car-Nut! Yes, one of my major criteria when finding an abode is car/workshop accommodation. So-far, this has worked out very well for me! Very Happy

Here's another update:
I spent quite a lot of time rebuilding the little curved protrusion which runs along the door. Both ends of it were damaged. I don't have pics of course! It worked out well though.
I was using an infra-red heat lamp to help the paint to flash-off. It was pretty rubbish, so I'm restricting my painting to sunny days now as that has given me the best results by far. Everything is just being primed at the moment and stored in the house once it's done!

Door with heat lamp!

I then started on the rear wings. These are the first curved things I've done. It has taken several attempts, but I'm quite happy with how they have now turned out.

I basically plastered them with filler and spent a long time sanding!
messershmit109

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job done Wink
Kelsham

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: alvis Reply with quote

Very impressive progress, a friend of mine has a drophead Alvis.

I am carrying out similiar work on the wings of a 1931 BSA car. I use Upol Fantastic filler it is highly recommended. A thin skim of filler is the way to go.

I too have problems spraying in Mid Wales always raining.

Regards Kels
pryantcc

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments guys. Here's one more update from the end of the Summer. No progress since then as my first child has arrived and gets looked after before the poor neglected Alvis!

Work continued apace, relatively speaking!
The rear wings have had their final primer and have been sanded back with 800 grit wet & dry and are ready for a colour coat now once I can decide on a colour!

I have started on the bonnet. It comes in 4 sections. Many years ago, the car had been stored with a blanket over the bonnet which caused much rustiness. Before I got the car, somebody had filled and primed the outer surface of the panels, but nothing more. By the time I got them, there was rust coming through in spots. So many people said "Just give it a quick rub & clean them off before painting, it'll be fine!" I have a massive fear of rust though, so I started to srip one of the panels back & I'm glad I did. Rust was rampant!

Because of the heavily pitted nature of the surface and the size of the panels, I wasn't happy just wire brushing them, nor did I want to try to make a big de-rusting bath, so I had them blasted. I won't know for certain for a couple of decades, but for now, this seems to have been a great move. I got the panels back a week later all blasted and etch primed.

Then the process starts of filling in all the pitting before painting.

And now another coat of etch primer:
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just re-awakening this old thread (how's the Alvis coming along)?

I received an email today from the son of an early owner of your car, who had the Alvis back in the 1950s. He has information about it from those days.

rgds, RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
pryantcc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
Just re-awakening this old thread (how's the Alvis coming along)?

I received an email today from the son of an early owner of your car, who had the Alvis back in the 1950s. He has information about it from those days.

rgds, RJ

Rick, that's great! I'd be delighted to see anything you've got. I have information about more recent owners but not the early ones.

The car hasn't changed much since 2011. My first daughter was born then and I pulled a cover over it which hasn't been removed since Sad There has been a second daughter since then and another car project that has a year or two to run.

The Alvis will see attention again, eventually.

Thanks,
Paul.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: