classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Restoration - Range Rover 1976 Classic 2 Door - Advice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
Click4

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Restoration - Range Rover 1976 Classic 2 Door - Advice Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks in advance for any help and advice firstly Smile

I just wondered if anybody has any advice in regards to restoration.

I am just beginning the project and looking to nut and bolt restore it to as close to original spec and make it look like it just rolled out the factory, even getting springs made to original spec, And using original or genuine parts where possible and able to source to keep it as original as possible.

But in terms of restoration and maintaining value of the vehicle after, I'm undecided if I'm best leaving the original unvented brake disks on the front of upgrading them to the later vented type, and another modification is the addition of the later anti roll bars front and rear to combat the roll problem and add later overdrive also.

While these sole modifications / upgrades deflect away from originality it does improve drivability... I'm just concerned about how it could impact on value of the restored vehicle as its no longer original specification, I don't know if it will increase the value of decrease it.

While I'm not looking to sell on completion, I still don't want to do anything that may devalue the vehicle as they are presently increasing in value.

Thanks
emmerson

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Click4. I've had RRs for over twenty years now, though never owned a two-door. I'm now on my 5th or 6th one and they have ranged (sorry!) from a 1987 3.5 up to my present 4.2 LSE.
The early cars had plain discs, and the later ones vented discs, and quite frankly, I think you'd be wasting time and money converting from original.
I doubt if you'd notice the difference.I may be wrong, but I think vented discs came in with ABS. As for the anti-roll bars, then yes, that would be worthwhile, as the older cars do roll about a bit.
I don't think either mod would impact on the value of the restored car; all classic RRs are increasing in price, two-doors more than anything else.
I believe the biggest thing affecting price is the interior, as most parts interior parts are now made from unobtainium!
Enjoy your resto, and keep us posted on here.
Click4

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply Smile

With the brake disks only advantage I could see is that vented disks run cooler, which in turn doesn't suffer so much brake fade and less chance of warping also.

So you think the anti roll bar will be a worthwhile upgrade without effecting value from originality too much?

What about the overdrive? Was that was only fitted from 1978 onwards as a factory option, 2 years after mine.

Indeed values are going up, seen a few online around £35-50k and I think price is about to take a dramatic increase as Land Rover a week and half ago announced they are restoring 10x 2 doors from the 1970s which will have a starting price of £135k each.

Interior parts are hard to come by, had a look though and some at least can be remade, at great expense though lol like the vacuum formed panels which go on the side of the seat bases, if a former can be made those can be remade easy enough it's just the colour matching, door panels are available in reproduction, carpet I've had a look and people are selling reproduction ones but they aren't correct colour, might have to buy one to use as a template or get correct colour carpet then send to people making them to make one in correct colour. Only really dash and seats which might be a problem. I've found a supplier for reconditioning of the steering wheel, headlinings are available also.

One problem I am facing with exterior panels is being an early 2 door they are the alluminium ones, which are difficult to weld up, and good replacements are rate, don't want to replace with steel or abs as that then takes from the originality.

On a plus note, after I read about the 10x being restored by Land Rover, I managed to find a contact who emailed me this back,

Quote:
Thank you for your email, I can confirm we are in the final throws of launching Range Rover Classic body panels, specifically for the 2 door models, but where panels cross over this will include the 4 door as well.

We are awaiting the fit and function tests to be completed and then we will be able to make these available to purchase, latest estimates are 3-4 weeks, but this is subject to change.

I only enquired about panels but there maybe other parts they will be selling again, I will be contacting them again in 2-3 weeks and I will try and see if they have a parts list available.
emmerson

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news fro Land Rover.
I forgot to mention the overdrive. This was fitted as an aftermarket extra from quite early on, so no, I don't think it would detract from the car's originality, especially if you used an early kit with the extra gear stick.
True, the brakes would be cooler but I never overheated any of mine, and they have all been use dto tow heavy caravans.
Bear in mind that you will also have to change the calipers, which will be two-line type. Did early cars have two-line brakes?
Click4

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely good from Range Rover! Only problem is the panels maybe steel as original birmabrite is no longer available, company dissolved in 2013 apparently but ceased end of the 70s early 80s I gather? Are later ones steel or just a different alluminium? So I don't know what will be used on their new panels. Will have to ask.

Early Range Rover I have which is 2 door has 2 brake lines to each caliper Smile although I will have to change calipers but I was going to change them anyway, was just a case of either fit the same as what's on there now or vented ones. If I got same as what's on there now will probably have them refurbished rather than new as some of the new ones don't seem to be exchange? So may lack any Lockheed markings? But if I went vented I would have to get new aftermarket calipers.

Overdrive I already have, it's the type with separate lever, was already fitted but as it was only an option from 78 onwards and this is a 76 didn't know if to keep for originality or not.

Thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: