classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Dynamotor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
Miken

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: Dynamotor Reply with quote

I have just bought a 1927 Morris Cowley flatnose.
The pile of receipts that came with it show that it recently had its 12v dynamotor refurbished at considerable cost. However the battery is not being charged.
The voltage cut-out has its cover missing and looks a right horrible ,rusty state so I suspect it may be this which is faulty.
So;
Is there a more modern, readily available alternative voltage regulator that I can fit that will work with it? Will a unit like this http://www.holden.co.uk/displayproduct.asp?sg=1&pgCode=084&sgName=Electrical&pgName=Control+Boxes&agCode=0450&agName=Control+Boxes%2FRegulators&pCode=37182 be compatable?
The dynamotor I have is a A900R which has 2 terminals.
I think originally it used a 3 terminal type which ran a separate earth wire instead of earthing to the car chassis.
Also;
How do I check the the dynamotor is charging.
Thank you and please dont get too technical.
Mike
47Jag

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

The regulator you picked is unsuitable. The model you are looking for is a Lucas CFR2. There are 3 currently on Eb*y.

Have a read here:- http://www.ppowers.com/lucas_plc.htm#Dynamotor for all you want to know.

Art
Miken

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Art.
Do you know how to test the dynamotor for output?
It starts the car well enough.
Does that mean its OK?
I dont think it describes checking the dynamotor on the webpage you indicated.
Penman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Quote:
The 'yellow' wire from the dynamotor D terminal is the main positive charging current output and it goes to the cut out and thence to the battery through the car's ammeter. The 'green' wire from the dynamotor comes from the dynamotor F terminal and goes to an F terminal on the cut out and thence to the lighting/charge PLC switch.

Doesn't this sentence imply that you could check for current through the yellow wire?

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
jp928

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would look at the cutout first. I have a 26 Rover 9 - picked it up recently, 80% restored, including all the electrical parts - 20 years ago. Once I got it running, I had no charging , but a Digital multimeter showed higher than expected volts, that seemed erratic. After checking everything I could think of, I finally took the facia off the central switch panel and gave the cutout points a clean with fine wet-and-dry emery - stable volts, 10A charge! If your cutout looks bad, clean it up and give the points some attention.
jp
trampintransit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang on ..if it's a dynamotor ..that's an alternator...and therefore should incorporate its regulator? ...rendering the control box all but redundant?... Presumably you have a dynamo...but yes I agree with the above...sort out that control box and give everything in the chain a good clean, including the ignition switch.....and main earth!
47Jag

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
.if it's a dynamotor ..that's an alternator..

A dynamotor is exactly what it's name says, a dynamo that is also a motor. It's only recently in historical terms that alternators have been fitted with integral regulators. Originallly alternators had external regulators.

Art
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

47Jag wrote:
...Originallly alternators had external regulators.

Art

And some lingered on surprisingly late. We had several 82-84 Triumph Acclaims (Honda Ballade re-badged by BL) which all had a separate bobbin-type regulator for the alternator. It must have been a bit of an oddity by then, I guess, but they never gave us any problems.
trampintransit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes ,sorry, I was not paying attention....dynamotor is really a prewar thing isn't it? Starter and dynamo in one....ah...to own a prewar car!!!!

I was confusing ti with one of those Dynalite thingies...
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dynastarters were used on 2 stroke micro cars of the 1950's 1960's. My mam's Goggomobile had one - Bosch. It worked well with its 2 stroke 350cc twin
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: