classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

How is this for a plan?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
Luegolover

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: How is this for a plan? Reply with quote

Hello,

I have a 1954 Austin Healey 100 which I am slowly rebuilding. When I bought the car many years ago it came in boxes with a new galvanised chassis and a rusted out shell. I have spent many years cutting off the good metal from the original and welding it onto the new chassis leaving me with a fine old concoction of: 1954 steel, 2005+ steel and galvanised steel.

I note: Frost have a video on painting galvanised steel which essentially involves using Mordant T wash which as far as I can tell is phosphoric acid. POR15 recommend using metal ready on steel which is again essentially phosphoric acid.

I am coming to the stage where I need to paint the inner bodywork and this is what I am thinking of doing:

1. Wash with a degreaser
2. brush on phosphoric acid
3. Epoxy primer with Jotun
4. Seam seal with Puraflex 40
5. 3M 2k underseal (expensive!) or dinitrol stonechip the underside
6. Top coat with 2k colour (undecided the manufacturer at this stage)
7. Spray with dinitrol wax

The body colour is Healey Blue

Is this a reasonable plan?
Penguin45

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2A. Wash off phosphoric acid with plenty of clean water and dry thoroughly. Prime all bare metal areas with etch primer, then proceed as outlined.

P45.
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: How is this for a plan? Reply with quote

Luegolover wrote:
Hello,

I have a 1954 Austin Healey 100 which I am slowly rebuilding. When I bought the car many years ago it came in boxes with a new galvanised chassis and a rusted out shell. I have spent many years cutting off the good metal from the original and welding it onto the new chassis leaving me with a fine old concoction of: 1954 steel, 2005+ steel and galvanised steel.

I note: Frost have a video on painting galvanised steel which essentially involves using Mordant T wash which as far as I can tell is phosphoric acid. POR15 recommend using metal ready on steel which is again essentially phosphoric acid.

I am coming to the stage where I need to paint the inner bodywork and this is what I am thinking of doing:

1. Wash with a degreaser
2. brush on phosphoric acid
3. Epoxy primer with Jotun
4. Seam seal with Puraflex 40
5. 3M 2k underseal (expensive!) or dinitrol stonechip the underside
6. Top coat with 2k colour (undecided the manufacturer at this stage)
7. Spray with dinitrol wax

The body colour is Healey Blue

Is this a reasonable plan?
frost say por15 is not suitable to paint over. I bought another heavy duty rust treatment from them that can be painted over. While I'm here, yesterday I bought a mig welder from a chap on rodsnsods for £50, I also bought a heavy duty engine hoist with adjustable angle kit with four chains from him for £60. Only been used twice to lift a Chevy 5.9 v8 and gearbox so I don't think it will have much trouble lifting a small sidevalve. I'm a happy bunny today.
ajlelectronics

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ultimate answer is epoxy primer. Sticks like you know what, even to galvanising. Waterproof and safe to spray without breathing equipment. It can also be brushed on. For underside etc, Jotun is a good buy but topside you should use Lechler or Standox.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: