classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Starting issue 103e
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure I've seen aftermarket, generic coils that aren't marked for polarity at all. Probably best avoided... Rolling Eyes
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alanb wrote:
As it is a mechanical fuel pump and runs ok once started it doesn't look like a fuel problem, if it has the correct 6 volt coil and is connected correctly it should provide enough of a spark from as little as 4.5volts to start it by hand cranking, In the past I have started my Morris useing a 4.8volt lantern battery and hand cranking.
jeez this is hard work. Does anybody understand what I'm trying to say.maybe it is a fuel problem to start with. Turning the engine fast with 12v will pump fuel up to the carb. I have to pump the fuel manually on mine with the rod on the side of the fuel pump because it runs back to the tank when left parked. If I don't pump it manually it doesn't start before the 6v battery dies. If the car runs why would it be an electrical issue. That's my two penneth I'm out of here.
Seems the op has given up
Peter_L

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul. We don't know the exact symptoms and yes it could be fuel.

We don't know if the problem is the same with a freshly run engine that had fuel in the carb, we don't know anything about the coil, or anything else.

For myself, I just put ideas out there, as do others........ life goes on, and it is not like Mc Donalds. where anything more than 5 minutes is viewed as unacceptable.

The forum is littered with MIA OP's this one could just be busy with other parts of life.
peter scott

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul fairall wrote:
If the car runs why would it be an electrical issue. That's my two penneth I'm out of here.
Seems the op has given up

Perhaps because the ignition system is marginal and whilst it might work on 6 volts it doesn't quite manage it with the loading of the starter motor.

Peter Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: