classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

7.8mm spade connectors
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: 7.8mm spade connectors Reply with quote

Been looking for just two 7.8mm spade connectors for an electronic power steering column without success. Did see 100 for sale but that's just stupid. They need to take 6mm cable. Any ideas?
Peter_L

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Electrical Wholesalers, who may advertise Ampliversal or Thomas & Betts.

Back in the 80, 90, we ran an Electrical Wholesale business and sold thousands of Ampliversal items. Bought them in boxes of 5000 and sold whatever quantity anyone wanted.

Unless you have a proper crimping tool, (the prof' tools crimp the cable and the insulation at the same time) maybe look at soldering it on. Slide off the insulation part and solder it with the terminal in a vertical position with the cable below. Tin the cable first. For 6mm sq cable the terminal size would be identified by the yellow sleeve. (Simple ID. Red Small - Blue Medium Yellow large)

Some stockist may even have the ones deigned for soldering.

We even sold nylon sleeves to slide over the terminal.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This page has female "8mm" spade connectors at 24p each, though there's probably VAT and P&P on that, though you'll pay P&P on most things if you can't find a local supplier.

http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/825/category/2

ETA - no use, says "1 - 2.5mm" cable.
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mike, I decided to visit a breakers yard for the first time in 30 years and got the blue plug I needed from a corsa eps ecu. The crimps were going to be for testing it. Someone on another forum offered me one for £6 after I'd stood on my head in the footwell of an old corsa with broken glass and soil, it cost £5.
Kleftiwallah

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On things electrical connectors, I'm after the old 'bullet' connectors, used on motorcycles rather than cars. I only need a dozen. Any ideas out there?

Cheers, Tony. Smile
alanb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Paul Beck Vintage supplies, he has most things electrical.

Morris 8 two seater
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul fairall wrote:
Thanks mike, I decided to visit a breakers yard for the first time in 30 years and got the blue plug I needed from a corsa eps ecu. The crimps were going to be for testing it. Someone on another forum offered me one for £6 after I'd stood on my head in the footwell of an old corsa with broken glass and soil, it cost £5.

Often the best way - though if someone wanted £6 for one it sounds like a weird connector. After writing above I thought that a 7.8mm spade connector for a 6mm cable was quite strange, too, unless your 6mm includes insulation where I think the spec I mentioned does not.
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEdwards wrote:
Paul fairall wrote:

Often the best way - though if someone wanted £6 for one it sounds like a weird connector. After writing above I thought that a 7.8mm spade connector for a 6mm cable was quite strange, too, unless your 6mm includes insulation where I think the spec I mentioned does not.
i think someone else mentioned 6mm cable whereas the cable fitted to the plug looks like 4mm multi strand. The 7.8mm is the width of the spade.
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kleftiwallah wrote:
On things electrical connectors, I'm after the old 'bullet' connectors, used on motorcycles rather than cars. I only need a dozen. Any ideas out there?

Cheers, Tony. Smile
vehicle wiring products
jp928

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Waterproof-Motorcycle-Bullet-Connectors-3-9mm-Male-Female-BRASS-10-OF-EACH-/152481466359?hash=item23809a87f7:m:mWiZwkNcBnFYC_I-Fif_JMQ

jp 26 Rover 9
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: