classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Lucas P100 Headlamp Bulbs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
Edd

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Lucas P100 Headlamp Bulbs Reply with quote

I've got a pair of Lucas P100 headlights on a 1935 Scammell rigid 6. Currently recommisioning it to bring it out in the next month or so. Can anyone confirm what bulbs should be fitted in the lights? I think they would be BA15d fitment ones but would like to confirm before ordering some. Also does anyone know of any LED versions that would fit?

Also is it right that the headlights would are only main beam and don't have a dipping option? I know that there was a version of the P100 headlights with a solenoid dipper but these don't have that.

Thanks
Ed
alanb

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed
Try CLASSIC DYNAMO & REGULATOR CONVERSIONS LTD they have a good range of LED replacement bulbs.

Morris 8 two seater
peter scott

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ed,

The bulb assembly is separate from the reflector but all the P100 lamps that I have come across have been fitted with a single filament Bosch bulb.
https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/504

Dipping is as you suggest by means of a solenoid that moves the reflector. The non-dipping lamps can easily be made to dip and there is simply one screw that prevents the reflector from dipping. Apart from that you need the solenoid with its push bar and a light return spring for the reflector. There should be a metal bracket on the reflector for the bar to push against. There is also a mounting bracket in the shell.

Fitting double filament bulbs doesn't work. You can adjust focus for one filament but the other will give a completely useless unfocused beam.

It is possible to fit LEDs. I am currently using this type with the double connections siamesed:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BA20D-White-COB-LED-Motor-Bike-Moped-ATV-Headlight-Bulb-Fog-Light-DRL-H6-E301-/391705175381?hash=item5b3372a555:g:0bAAAOSwB-1Yo8pH

That said they don't give as good a beam as the Bosch bulbs and you may need to convert to negative earth but they certainly give a worthwhile current saving.

Peter
47Jag

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter,

Are they dismantle-able? I bought some orange flasher lamps a while ago an was able to dismantle and re-wire for positive earth. For 3 quid I would be having a go but only if the light output justified it.

Art
Edd

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the very helpful replies.

Peter, do you know if there is a 24V version of the Bosch single filament bulbs? The truck will mainly go out in daylight so will leave it original and not have a dipping headlight. Will go for standard bulbs to start with rather than worry about the LED's. Can do the LED's at a later date.

Thanks
Ed
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes BA20S is available at 24 volt.

http://www.autohalogena.com/en/products/conventional-bulbs/bosch-type-car-bulbs/bosch-auto-24v-35w-ba20s-1p/

Peter
Edd

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect.

Thank you
Ed
Edd

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was making a lot of sense until I looked at the headlights!

It looks like they are BA15's as the holder is only 15mm internal diameter. The base has two contact points so I assume it needs a BA15d, single filament. Guessing that one of the contacts will be earth and the other one power?

Ed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: