classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

New member with Hillman questions......
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Rallymantony

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: New member with Hillman questions...... Reply with quote

Hello fellow enthusiasts

Firstly, what a great forum, lots of advice an stories of restorations and woes.
I have various classics, mostly Triumphs (2500S) but also a Capri 3.0S, a couple of Audi quattro's and a 1955 Hillman Minx De-lux.

It's the latter that I need some help with. I wondered if anyone can tell me what distributer would be fitted to this car? The car has been in the garage for nearly 30 years!! It was past to me when my Grandfather passed away around 25 years ago and it's taken me a little (well a lot!) time to get round to getting her back on the road..

I've got her turning over but I don't have a spark at the points, looking at them I think they just need a clean but I would prefer to install electronic ignition anyway. Any information on what dis is fitted and if anyone can recommend an ignition system that works well with these cars would be very much appreciated.
Also, I would like to replace the voyage regulator, any recommendations?

Many thanks in advance

Tony
peter scott

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tony,

Welcome to the forum. The workshop manual says your distributor is Lucas DKYH 4A-S76.

Gap 0.016"
Timing nominal 5 deg (regular) 8 deg (premium)

Peter

p.s. Being a retired electronics engineer I wouldn't recommend electronic ignition. Laughing

p.p.s. As you might gather I'm not in favour of obvious modern additions and that goes for the control box too but if you must then RB340 is much more intelligent than the correct control box. Unfortunately it looks total different and out of place to my way of thinking.
Rallymantony

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
Hi Tony,

Welcome to the forum. The workshop manual says your distributor is Lucas DKYH 4A-S76.

Gap 0.016"
Timing nominal 5 deg (regular) 8 deg (premium)

Peter

p.s. Being a retired electronics engineer I wouldn't recommend electronic ignition. Laughing

p.p.s. As you might gather I'm not in favour of obvious modern additions and that goes for the control box too but if you must then RB340 is much more intelligent than the correct control box. Unfortunately it looks total different and out of place to my way of thinking.

Thank you Peter for the info. I was looking to replace the control box for a new/refurbished original item, I seem to remember my granddad telling me that the one on the car was faulty.... No idea if it is but while I'm under the bonnet it logical to replace it.
Thank again for your help.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum!

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
peter scott

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tony,

The original control box is RB106-1 but you might find it cheaper and better to replace it with an original rather than a modern remake. It should be cheaper too even if you had to buy a few to find a good one.

Peter
Rallymantony

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Peter
bob2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Rootes cars try speedy spares. They Have a website and are quite knowledgeable on them. I think they have control boxes too, at least for my hunter, not sure on your minx but worth a try.
With regards to the distributor, you can keep the original and fit an accuspark system. Although I have not used it (yet), I have friends that will fit one to each and every old car they buy.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, always nice to hear from a fellow Hillman owner. I have a 55 Minx but it still has the sidevalve engine, the de-lux would have the overhead valve by then.

I have always found Speedy Spares very helpful for any Rootes group parts.
Rallymantony

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you gents for your help, I'll give Speedy parts a try and let you know how I get on
Rallymantony

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

So after 25 years of sitting motionless in the garage she's up and running Very Happy Very Happy . Can't tell you how happy I am, I think my Granddad must have been next to me helping me along. I actually done very little to get her running, cleaned the points and dizzy cap and fitted a charged battery basically, will currently only run on brake and clutch cleaner as no fuel coming through, turns out that the fuel tank (and more then likely the pipe) is solid with a black tar of some sort! Syphoned the fuel out of the tank and put a couple of litres of brake and clutch cleaner in to see if it will help dissolve it, will run a new fuel line to be safe.
If the brake and clutch cleaner doesn't work, is there a magic potion of any sort that I could try??
alastairq

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.frost.co.uk/cleaner-degreaser-por15-marine-clean.html

As a suggestion?? Smile

Used as a part of the Frost fuel tank repair/sealer kit.

I have seen it used, and it is good stuff.....plus, can be saved and re-used, until it wears out.
kevin2306

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree on using the marine clean, awesome stuff but needs to be left to soak.
I've used it many times, worth doing twice actually to makes sure all is clean, the fuel line and fuel pump will have a similar deposit I'd say plus the carb will need a strip and clean.
Once the tank is clean, use the tank sealer from the same company, ensures any rust etc is sealed in and doesn't get lifted into the fuel system.

Well done

Kev
Rallymantony

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you gents, if the C&B cleaner doesn't work I'll order myself some. Managed to get a couple of hours in tonight, replaced front brake pipes plus a general clean up, really surprised how easy everything is to come apart, probably shouldn't speak to soon but not found a rusted bolt on her yet Very Happy
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any photos to hand of your fleet? it'd be neat to see threads about the cars Smile

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
kevin2306

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rallymantony wrote:
Thank you gents, if the C&B cleaner doesn't work I'll order myself some. Managed to get a couple of hours in tonight, replaced front brake pipes plus a general clean up, really surprised how easy everything is to come apart, probably shouldn't speak to soon but not found a rusted bolt on her yet Very Happy

Morning

Regarding using the carb and brake cleaner, i personally would save the grief and go for the marine clean, ive learnt the hard way that it is the best stuff to remove the black tar.

Kev
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: