classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Morris Dipper tray
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
Miken

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Morris Dipper tray Reply with quote

Im after some advice about my pre war Morris Cowley engine.
Morris service sheet CO/38 says:
"Make sure the dipper tray does not fit too snugly against the walls of the engine sump as oil that is thrown up by the big ends will then merely drain back again into the tray and tend to cause flooding. There should be a gap of at least a clear 1/8" all round the tray."
The dipper tray in my cars sump fits very snugly indeed, with no clear gap either side.
It must have been like that when it was made so Im a bit confused.
Suggestions please.
Thanks
Mike

Penman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
How much clearance is there for the journals? I wonder if it would have had washer/spacers under the tray where it is bolted down.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Miken

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question.
Unfortunately the rest of the engine is away having work done so I cant tell at the moment.
Raising the tray on spacers, as you suggest, will produce a gap all round because of the tapering sides of the sump.
However, I would be surprised if there were spacers originally fitted.
It would seem simpler and make more sense (to me) to just manufacture the cast tray locations in the sump to the correct height in the first place.
Also, the 4 fixing screws are are not the familiar ISO metric coarse (this is a Hotchkiss engine) but 8mm pre war French metric fine items (whitworth head). They are just the right length and dont appear to have been shortened.
Peter_L

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miken wrote:
Good question.
Unfortunately the rest of the engine is away having work done so I cant tell at the moment.
Raising the tray on spacers, as you suggest, will produce a gap all round because of the tapering sides of the sump.
However, I would be surprised if there were spacers originally fitted.
It would seem simpler and make more sense (to me) to just manufacture the cast tray locations in the sump to the correct height in the first place.
Also, the 4 fixing screws are are not the familiar ISO metric coarse (this is a Hotchkiss engine) but 8mm pre war French metric fine items (whitworth head). They are just the right length and dont appear to have been shortened.

Could it be a simple case of "manual and actual" not aligned.

I would have thought those large holes in the tray would be quite adequate to drain the oil.
Kenham

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I would think you would need a hell of a flow of oil if those four holes will not drain it.
Penman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
This picture seems to agree with you about no spacers.

http://moreg.org.au/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/cowley_engine.jpg

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Miken

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that's a good point about the big holes in the tray. I hadn't thought about that.
Miken

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After inquiring elsewhere I have decided that as it looks like my car has always had the sump tray like this and as the Morris service sheet was printed in the days when the car was originally fitted with 2 compression ring only pistons, I'm not going to worry about it and will reassemble and try it.
I'm hoping that when I get my block back from being rebored it will come with new modern 3 ring pistons (one of which will be an oil control ring) and it should be better than new.
Peter_L

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miken wrote:
Yes that's a good point about the big holes in the tray. I hadn't thought about that.

If it was mine, and because I have the curiosity of a shed full of cats.

What is the total area of the holes compared to the length of the tray x the 1/8" mentioned ?

I would think that the splash lubrication would be improved by having the majority of the oil going back to the tray and therefore keeping the reservoirs full, rather than having the bulk of the oil running down the side and straight into the sump.
alastairq

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note of warning, based on the experience of the current owner of my old Morgan 4/4 series 1.

Which has the Standard Special engine!

This has a large flattish sump, with a [windage?] tray bolted in.

On a trip some years back, he had the misfortune to suffer a 'locked', or 'seized', engine. Spoilt the day, it did!

On examination, it was found the bolts that secure the tray had slackened off [vibration]...allowing the tray to flap about a bit.The crank webs caught the tray, bending it a bit, and jamming the crank solid.

All was easily fixed, however....but very worrying of the wallet when it first happened.

Now, I think he has Loctited the bolts in situ...

Maybe worth not taking the chance??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: