classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Windscreen frame repair advice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
Luegolover

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Windscreen frame repair advice Reply with quote

Hello,

I have a 1954 Austin Healey 100 and the windscreen frame is damaged. It appears that the top mounting screw has pulled through the frame.

The only Healey forum I have used has only one suggestion which is to replace it but these are phenomenally expensive to get, if I can find one. I would like to know if anybody has repaired the frames before or has any advice for me with it.

Regards

[img[/img]
Kenham

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cut a little bit out and weld a little bit back in.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That doesn't look all that terrible. Can you show a photo of what it should look like, so it's easier to figure out what needs doing?
Miken

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a channel section? Is it steel? If yes to both then do as Kenham suggests and either cut out and weld a bit in, or cut out the bad bit and build up completely with weld.
You can file a bit of aluminium a close fit inside so that you can build up the weld on it and preserve the shape. The Ali won't melt if MIG or TIG welding. Then remove the ali.
Alternatively strengthen the existing damaged area by putting a strip of metal inside the channel section and soldering in place if there is room , then re drill the hole. If it's brass you could either file away the damaged part completely and silver solder a new piece in, or again, just soft solder a strip of metal inside. If you don't know how to silver solder, make friends with your local model engineering club where there will be gentlemen experienced in soldering up pressure vessels.
If it is steel, could you replace the entire length with a brass extrusion?
If it is a channel section, do a search, you may be able to find a brass extruded section readily available and be able to replace the whole length quite cheaply.
Several vintage car and model engineering suppliers sell brass strip in all sorts of sections.
See here and click on "supplies catalogue" for all sorts of useful metal cross-sections:
http://www.livesteammodels.co.uk/
Or here:
https://www.completeautomobilist.com/search?query=brass+channel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: