classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Advice measuring cylinder bores, crankshaft journal etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
colwyn500

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Advice measuring cylinder bores, crankshaft journal etc. Reply with quote

Imagine you were the sort of tight-bottomed, untrusting contrarian who didn't want to enlist a "professional" to give the verdict on a rebore and regrind. In those circumstances would you say the person was a fool because the tools and skills needed to do such measuring take practice and are very expensive? Or would it be possible to spend say £100 on eBay and with a bit of patience and care, to measure them yourself? Very Happy
Kenham

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think you could buy the necessary for a lot less , micrometer will be fairly cheap a bore gauge will be a bit more. With a bit of thought you can make a good enough bore gauge that you can measure with the cheap micrometer.
Kenham

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just looked on ebay and some nice dial bore gauges about 30 - 40 pounds. If you were in Kent you could borrow mine. It is no more difficult for you to measure than the expert, I expect you will take more time and care on the job anyway.
Kleftiwallah

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take yourself off the the local autojumble. Always a good place for tools etc.

Cheers, Tony. Rolling Eyes
colwyn500

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the advice and kind offer...autojumbles few and far between here in the north of Scotland.
There are so many things I could measure with the need for so many different tools that I think I will end up at the machinist's shop...no hurry though.
D4B

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter,

I have just had passed on to me from my Uncle who was an engineer his entire life (now retired) an internal micrometer, 2" to 8".

You are welcome to borrow it, I could send it recorded delivery, then you could return it recorded delivery also?

Let me know.

Cheers Steve
alastairq

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no engineer..or machinist. What I do have, which I find all sorts of uses for, is a [cheap] digital caliper. Being a digital display, I'm not too prone to misreading things.

Making sure the thing is zeroed correctly helps...and don't do it once, do it all the time?

I do measure things several times, and try to use the more appropriate parts of the tool for measuring.

When measuring a cylinder bore, I don't just do it in one direction, but end to take several goes, at roughly 90 degrees to each other. I have some weird calipers for internal measurement, deep down the hole, too.

The most common usage I put the digicalipers to, is measuring, and consequent matching, of the jet heights on twin SU carburettors.
Rather than counting the number of flats I've turned the jet nuts...always, with me, a dodgy method.......I try to gt the jets, 'somewhere near', then whip the dashpots off, and use the depth gauge part of the tool to measure, and match, both the jet heights. Easy to do with the digital readout.
Biggest problem with the above, is ensuring the calipers are just about 90 degrees to the bridge....they can tend to wobble a bit.

Sorry for the digression Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: