classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

cylinder head studs
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miken wrote:
Degreased a high tensile bolt and wound it in by hand with some Loctite 270 threadlocker which the manufacturer produce for "the securing AND sealing of bolts , nuts and studs".

I think that's the stuff I've got, and never got around to doing the same experiment you did.

The stuff I should have got (and subsequently did get for my rebuild) is Loctite 243 Lock-n-seal, which says "medium strength easily undone with normal hand tools".

That's what I was talking about above - there are many different types of Loctite.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Head studs stretch slightly every time they are tightened up, which weakens them, so unless you are aware of the studs history it's best to replace them. Modern materials are much improved thus reduce the chance of shearing.

Dace
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just had to order a new set of head studs due mainly to corrosion. I was quite surprised how much thinner they had become. I think I might as well fit new nuts as well.
colwyn500

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Miken"]
After 8 hours I attempted to dismantle it with a socket spanner.
After fitting a long tube extension I merely succeeded in shearing the bolt off.

WOW! At least you proved the stuff works! There will be applications where that is very useful. But its use on studs in this application is meant simply to stop water from creeping up the threads. So you wouldn't use the high-strength 270, rather the low-strength 222.
You could even use the thread sealant such as 577.
I've used these products frequently and I haven't ever been unable to remove a fixing; a quick run over with the blowtorch is all it needs.
Miken

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="colwyn500"]
Miken wrote:

After 8 hours I attempted to dismantle it with a socket spanner.
After fitting a long tube extension I merely succeeded in shearing the bolt off.

WOW! At least you proved the stuff works! There will be applications where that is very useful. But its use on studs in this application is meant simply to stop water from creeping up the threads. So you wouldn't use the high-strength 270, rather the low-strength 222.
You could even use the thread sealant such as 577.
I've used these products frequently and I haven't ever been unable to remove a fixing; a quick run over with the blowtorch is all it needs.

I agree, I'm not quite yet ready to assemble but I think I will use the 577 loctite. I've used it many times on pressurised steam boiler fittings, engine and gearbox drain plugs and compressed air fittings. It always comes apart really easily when required without any application of heat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: