classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Austin Seven Ruby ARQ rejuvenation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
MooiMeisie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Fuel tank sender unit. Reply with quote

I removed the petrol tank sender unit on the 6th April but only now able to post details, having since then suffered from that horrid head cold and red eyes that's been doing the rounds, and the worst I've experienced to date.

Photos show the angst experienced in removing the screws, the slots having been well and truly mangled.
Was thinking of using one of the tank sealers, but will the two baffle plates prevent full coating?
The gauze filter has a chunk missing so ineffective, see last photo, but I was going to fit a remote filter onto the bulkhead in any case.

The screw slots had been so well and truly mangled that even a hollow ground screwdriver was ineffective, this after a week of squirting every release agent I had at them.
I even went so far as to use a knife to scrape away the cork gasket, opposite the screws, in an effort to get the stuff to wick onto the threads, all to no avail.

'Brain out of gear' brute force the only solution now.

Four screws eventually succumbed, but the last two sheared, turning the air blue.

Sender unit removed to reveal the sheared screw stubs.

One of the sheared bits ready to be drilled out.

One sheared screw drilled out, one to go.

Threads cleaned up revealing brass inserts.
Need to find BA brass screws to replace the rusted in steel ones now.

Sender/float unit in all its glory.

The heart of the sender section.

Attachment of the float to sender.

The gauze filter inside the tank has a piece missing, so no longer of any use.

Suggestions please on what to do with/best way to remove, the gauze plus how to deal with the two end baffles if using a tank sealer?
For the two baffled areas, I don't fancy cutting a hole in the top of each end, ala the sender unit.
Inside of the tank looks reasonable, but there is 'scale' in the filler pipe baffled end, but cannot see into the opposite end.

Geoff - Time to practice welding prior to Mud Wing repairs.
MooiMeisie

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Crushed glass Reply with quote

The petrol tank gauze filter was easy to remove, then painted.
A long nosed pair of pliers came to the rescue.

Crushed glass in the sandblaster.
Neither aluminium oxide nor twisted wire wheel, in L-grinder, had any effect on removing all the hard detritus on these front Mud Wing supports.
Someone on Facebook said he has had success using crushed glass, so I ordered a 25kg bag as nothing to loose.
Started with a 5mm nose piece on the gun, but soon changed to a 4mm, the smallest I had, and that was soon doing its job.
Needed a few passes on some areas, as that cr@p was well and truly stuck on.
Used the glass to do all the other parts, and there is far less 'dust' produced compared with the aluminium that needing the inside of the window cleared frequently, even with the SideBlastAir in operation.

Everything I can think of has been sand/glassblasted and coated with Gibbs so now ready to repair the front Mud Wings and give them and small parts a trial coat of Zinga or zinc epoxy, then possibly Jotun Jotmastic 80 on the underside of the Mud Wings, but not sure.

Geoff - Small parts stored to make space for the Mud Wings?
MooiMeisie

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: I advise in metal bashing needed Reply with quote

NS Mud Wing patch

Advise please on the best way to make this patch.
This is my first attempt at bodywork, and I experimented using 0.6mm sheet
Pretty pleased with it, BUT can/must do better.
A former and tin bashing?
Open to any suggestions.
Not sure where to split the part for easy welding.
My bender produces a bent very close to that from the Austin factory so don't need to make a new blade, with a different radius.

I am thinking of making short bends on the top curved section/s, split as per my experiment after a failed attempt to stretch the metal, and then welding the flat flange/s to them, but just had a thought, would 0.6mm sheet stretch enough?
I did mange to get a gentle curve only, after a few minutes with sharp end of hammer.
David Gardiner in his video Bodywork Restoration Tutorial makes stretching the metal look so frigging easy - Grrrr
Need to have another look at what he does, before I dive in again.
Trust me to start on this as a first attempt at tin bashing.
My late Dad is shaking his head right now, shouting "Get in with it, it's easy!"

Geoff - Spring!?
OuBallie

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: MIG v TIG welds Reply with quote

Been using the MIG to weld patches in the front Mud Shields (Wings) of the Seven.

Whenever I read about how hard MIG welds where in comparison to OA/TIG, I always thought 'How much harder can they be?'

It's 'Add your favourite AngloSaxon here' HARD that's what!

Couldn't believe it when I tried a file and it just skated over the blobs of MIG weld.

Used TIG to fill holes then ground the welds down and the difference in the quantity and type of spark produced was eye opening, with MIG winning hands down.

Photos to follow when done

Geoff - TIG from now on especially for panel work.
1967 Morris Minor 2-door
2007 Fiat Doblò MultiJet (It carries the spares etc)
Model Engineering
Peter_L

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Geoff. This is comment is 100% after the horses have left, but it may be of use in future, or to others.

When I worked for the Water Authority (1970-80 UK) there were often times when maintenance was required to large tanks. Inspection plate bolts would sometimes shear off, as per your tank. If the bolts were not in blind holes, they would grind the bolt/stud level with the tank, drill and tap as large a thread as possible, but not all the way through, then screw in bolt and actually turn the seized bolt out the other side. The thinking behind this was that the threads on the inside of the tank were the ones preventing the stud from being removed.
OuBallie

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter,
The bolts where too long and the ends had rusted as you suspected.
Not much room to do what you suggested with 3BA, but worth a try in the future if needed.

Geoff - TIG with hammer & dolly work today.
1967 Morris Minor 2-door
Model Engineering
OuBallie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Been a while! Reply with quote

Out of sequence, but had to post this before adding photos of the repairs to Mud Shields, modification to Running Boards to get the rubbers to fit, then giving them and other smaller parts a coat of 2k zinc primer.

Body rolled back into the Carport, only 4 months later than hoped for.

https://youtu.be/biPRxyVEV4M

Geoff - Can video be embedded into posts?
1967 Morris Minor 2-door
Model Engineering
OuBallie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Update to my 3rd March 2017 post Reply with quote

For some unknown reason I just could not get the video below to upload to either YouTube or Facebook and gave up after 5 attempts even using a different computer.
After the success with the body rolling into the Carport one, had another go last night and this morning found it was sipuccessful.

The AustinSevenCylinderBlockWhatsit in all its glory:

https://youtu.be/7r9bcJjc0b4

Geoff - Work started on the B-post.
1967 Morris Minor 2-door
Model Engineering
OuBallie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: All work ground to a halt! Reply with quote

On the 27th of last month, the bloody vice in the Workshop decided to attack me as I walked past it.
The handle was upright and my unzipped jumper snagged as I walked past.
My left foot had just touched the floor when my top half came to a sudden halt resulting in stretched tendons and sprained left foot as I tried to stop myself landing flat on my arse!
Doc said 4-6 weeks to recover.

A more serious problem with regards this Thread will be the inability of posting photos now that Photobucket has joined the Ransomware brigade.
Mine are only appearing now as I pay for extra storage and have been informed that it will cease when present contract ends.

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14
Austin Seven Friends have just launched their new forum that can load photos directly from computers.
Only one per post from iOS devices, however, due to ALL photos being stored with the same name, meaning multiple posts.

Geoff - Becoming thoroughly bored!
1967 Morris Minor 2-door
Model Engineering
OuBallie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Two months sitting on @arse most frustrating! Reply with quote

AustinSevenCylinderBlockWhatItUpdate

Geoff - Body bolted to Tilter/Rotisserie ready for next video.[/url]
1967 Morris Minor 2-door
Model Engineering
OuBallie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Ruby body bolted to the rotisserie Reply with quote

It's only two and a half months late due to my mishap that injured my left foot, but at least now have good access to do work on the body.

https://youtu.be/EMwehgSkRhc

Geoff - Now the heating boiler needs replacing!
1967 Morris Minor 2-door
Model Engineering
Andrew1954

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Geoff, I've just joined this forum and who do I find but you, again. Today I've been shaping some of those odd patches to repair the wings, or are they mudguards.
OuBallie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: I'm everywhere! Reply with quote

Cannot get away from me Andrew1954.

I describe them as Mud Wings, having seen that term used in an old Austin publication I think.

Updates:

Work started on the NS B-post and inner wheel arch:
https://youtu.be/SmSvyRa-up4

Old cylinder block partly sliced to find out how much material there is, before I start grinding away on the Ruby's ports:
https://youtu.be/ZCuYpuxgVbo

I now have a later block to slice through, once I get the replacement 10/14blade, the 24tpi was too fine and took ages to cut through.

All work halted due to it being rather nippy in the Carport, and not helped with 20 year old central heating boiler on the blink and certifies too old to repair.
Trouble is it only works occasionally when the gas is ignited every other 3/4 days, but the fan working perfectly.

Geoff - Need to find a Keston 50 expert.
1967 Morris Minor 2-door
Model Engineering
OuBallie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Where has the time gone! Reply with quote

Cannot believe it's been nearly a year since my last post, thanks to Photobucket and then health problems.
Have now, with luck, uploaded all photos to Dlickr so will start preparing a post using the Notes App on the iPad, starting with the MudShields.
I use that App to save any suggestions and details on the cars for future reference.
Did use Dropbox until it 'lost' a lot when I synced between phone and pad so that is now history.
Notes syncing is seamless and automatic.
Just don't hold collective breathes!

Geoff - I will not be held responsible Laughing
1967 Morris Minor 2-door
Model Engineering
OuBallie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no luck using iPad as all I get is a single line link ala
https://www.flickr.com/gp/134244830@N02/Y33s6X
and Google no better either!

Geoff - Will try the desktop
1967 Morris Minor 2-door
Model Engineering
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 10 of 14

Jump to: