classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Fuel tank on 1955 A30
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
Guernseyman

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Fuel tank on 1955 A30 Reply with quote

Some time ago I purchased a Jan 1955 4-door A30 with 19K miles on the clock. I ran her for 12 months but then she went into storage for two years. Now I have decided to get her back on the road but she won't start. The petrol coming out of the electric pump was a horrible yellow colour so I decided to drain the tank and clean the fuel lines. The fuel line was clear but I then made what I think was a serious mistake. I refitted the fuel line but and gave the it another blast of air but it didn't go anywhere. I removed the fuel line again and it was clear but the union on the tank appeared to be blocked.

Can someone tell me if there is a non-return valve in the tank and what are my chances of freeing it up as there is obviously no access from inside the tank. I suspect that the valve was fitted to the bottom half of the tank before the top half was fastened to it in which case I have a serious problem.
DM

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No non return valve in the tank.

Your tank idealy needs to come out and be cleaned out inside.
Peter_L

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi "Guernsey Man".... Maybe the OCC's first Channel Island's member ?

My parents and way back were from Jersey.

Welcome.
Guernseyman

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Fuel tank A30 Reply with quote

Good morning

Thank you for your advice DM. The tank is out of the car and I will see if cleaning it out clears the problem. I will report back.

Hi Peter. A lot of Channel Islanders left for Canada years ago. Good to know you.
Guernseyman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:41 pm    Post subject: A30 fuel tank Reply with quote

Cleaned the tank and loads of gunge came out. Fuel outlet now clear, fuel line reconnected and fuel added. She started up almost immediately and is now running like a sewing machine.

Many thanks for your sound advice DM.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: A30 fuel tank Reply with quote

Guernseyman wrote:
Cleaned the tank and loads of gunge came out. Fuel outlet now clear, fuel line reconnected and fuel added. She started up almost immediately and is now running like a sewing machine.

Many thanks for your sound advice DM.

Thanks for the update, it'd be interesting to see a thread all about the A30 in the Austin section sometime Wink

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: