classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Water coolant system flush
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
old iron

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Water coolant system flush Reply with quote

Just in the process of renewing the rubber radiator hoses on my newly aquired 1928 vintage car. I noticed that a fair amount of sludge crud evident in the alloy sections of the coolant system and am considering a flushing agent.
I am a little hesitant as obviously I don't want to open a can of worms, it's a thermo syphon system. Having completed my first runs this weekend I had noticed a leak from one of the hoses which prompted the hose renewals.
Any recommendations as to the flushing agent please, of course a non acidic is required.
Thank you
jp928

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penrite do a good range of oils and other stuff for Vintage cars, and a radiator flush additive. Not sure if they are present in UK, they do market in USA. Also useful stuff like steering box lubricant.
jp 26 Rover 9
old iron

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for response but I have already purchased a couple of cans of Wynns radiator flush. Battle commences next week! Very Happy
Kleftiwallah

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice to know which neck of the woods you are from Old Iron, and jp 928, are you from over the pond i.e. stateside?

Cheers, Tony. Very Happy
jp928

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in Oz, the home of Penrite.
jp 26 Rover 9
old iron

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I'm from Suffolk, the home of Greene King beer Very Happy
BigJohn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years back I had a Standard 12 which the previous owner had used fresh stream water for topping up the coolant. He lived in a limestone area!

I had good results with Aldi dishwasher descaler, I banged it a couple of bottles, left a day, then flushed.
(but I bear no responsibility, as no doubt Aldi won't either for any resulting problems Shocked }
old iron

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emptied the coolant out yesterday, refilled and Emptied Wynn's coolant flush into the radiator. Start engine and idle for ten minutes. Let engine cool and again empty coolant from system. This time after removing the rad' drain bolt all I got was a slow drip drip. Stuck an old screwdriver into the drain and it felt like leigh on sea silt Laughing
Then the coolant fairly poured out, job's a good'un Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: