classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Rootes 1600 OHV (early 60s) engine, timing?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
MrWhite

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Rootes 1600 OHV (early 60s) engine, timing? Reply with quote

Does anyone have a diagram of the timing marks on this engine, which one is TDC, how many degrees between each of the susequent marks and so on. I have teh original timing setting semewhere but it hasn't ben converted to unleaded and I have just been running an additive in it. What I don't know as weel is what is teh recommended advancement in the timing for unleaded. Also be interested to hear what fuel others recommend, I read a post somewhere about fuel and teh recommendation was to run the best fuel you can find, so something like BP ultimate I am thinking?
It may seem I am asking a lot of questions and I am but there are lots of things I do know about, so hoping these will tale off soon, honest!
peter scott

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you will find that there are 7 timing marks and these are 5 degrees apart. Seen from the front the left hand mark is TDC and the right hand mark in 30 degrees BTDC.

Peter
MrWhite

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Peter, exactly what I needed to know. I used to be a bit of a whiz with these things but too many years of Diesel cars, maybe just too many years and I feel a bit of a novice again Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: