classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Ford Prefect Cuckoo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
safechief

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject: Ford Prefect Cuckoo Reply with quote

Having taken Ka's advice after my last post regarding my smoking Prefect I decided that I would look round for a suitable reconditioned engine for my Prefect. By chance a good friend and mentor of mine happened to mention that he had been offered a fully reconned 10hp ( new valves, springs pistons and as it turned out re-metalled big ends) engine from someone in Devon for what was a reasonable price. So I decided to bite the bullet and buy it. He said he would pick it up at Easter whilst on holiday. Which he duly did.
This is where the problems start. When refurbing my Prefect I had to replace all the rubbers including hoses and ordered such from FSOC. When I went to replace the bottom radiator hose I noticed that the replacement was a hockey stick shape and mine fitted to the Prefect was short and straight. To be honest wasn't to worried at that stage, just wanted it on the road so just cut the replacement and fitted it never noticed that the engine as fitted had two water inlets joined by a manifold. Never thought any more of it. Engine number was not as in original buff log book but was R582098PC, which simply indicated that the car had been fitted with a recon engine at some time during it's ' missing' years
So when the replacement engine arrived , and was duly displayed lo and behold standard 10HP prefect engine with single inlet . Obvious now that fitted engine was not standard for that vehicle, so no other indications of problems to come ordered standard hose from FSOC to replace
The mystery now deepens, for when my friend goes to fit said recon engine, it won't fully mate with the gearbox, the shaft slides in to about an inch or so gap and then stops, and there is no side to side or up and down movement shaft in box at all, and of course it won't fit the front mounts. So my friend now trying to find amongst his collection of spares a standard gearbox that is in working order that will fit, and work.
So has anybody out there any idea what we may have here. The only 10hp engine I can find with a double water inlet is a model C, the 8hp y has one of course, but this surely cant be an eight engine can it? but the model c gearbox has no dipstick and mine has. The model c also has a fibre timing wheel, which we haven't yet checked. The question is would the C engine fit in a Prefect, and what the hell is the gearbox. I think the 8 & 10 gearboxes are interchangeable but only the later ones have dipsticks. Any comments or suggestion would be very welcome please.
All the best to all
Jeff
best car ever Daimler V8 saloon 1965, cost me £450. first car Model y Ford cost £15.cars ove 50 years A40 Devon, a30, 35 , consul 375,mini cooper 1962 herald,viva hb Opel ascona, austin1100 capri mk2 many cortinas, saab
Peugeot, renault etc
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photos may help. So your original engine has two water inlets and fibre gears so it's 8hp or at least is an old model. It will also have a smaller starter motor.
8hp starter is approx 3" diameter and 10hp is 4" I can't remember exact measurements but it's noticeable. Does the new engine have a starter fitted. Give Bob Froch a call 07933 351586, he knows everything about sidevalves and is a nice fella.
safechief

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Paul will get some photos whenI am next at workshop. Not sure about timing gear but pretty certain it's not an eight . Biggest puzzle is the gearbox which to all intents and purposes is a standard 10 HP gearbox with dipstick but won't accept the standard engine we are trying to fit into car. Anyway we will keep making enquiries and I will let you know. Thanks for the phone number
Jeff
best car ever Daimler V8 saloon 1965, cost me £450. first car Model y Ford cost £15.cars ove 50 years A40 Devon, a30, 35 , consul 375,mini cooper 1962 herald,viva hb Opel ascona, austin1100 capri mk2 many cortinas, saab
Peugeot, renault etc
safechief

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Paul will get some photos whenI am next at workshop. Not sure about timing gear but pretty certain it's not an eight . Biggest puzzle is the gearbox which to all intents and purposes is a standard 10 HP gearbox with dipstick but won't accept the standard engine we are trying to fit into car. Anyway we will keep making enquiries and I will let you know. Thanks for the phone number
Jeff
Peugeot, renault etc
alastairq

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be worth checking the clutch plate is central? Also check what kind of bearing is in the crankshaft end? Could be either a (bronze) bush, or a ball race bearing? If a bush, is it positioned straight? Check the end of the gearbox input shaft? See if it has become 'belled'? If the crankshaft has the later bearing, the gearbox shaft could be baulked from entering? If the gearbox is an early one, the splines on the input shaft extend a bit further along the shaft. A bearing would not be a happy chappy if it met splines instead of plain shaft? (In which case, a plain bush needs to be fitted into the crankshaft end)
safechief

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Ford Prefect Cuckoo Reply with quote

Think problem solved. Now agreed engine is a c type. Problem with gearbox caused by a slight burr on the main shaft preventing shaft fully entering spigot bearing in new engine. Unfortunately had to take gearbox out to discover it Car now back on the road. Thanks for all your responses and help as always
Jeff
Peugeot, renault etc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: