classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Charging the battery
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
Miken

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Charging the battery Reply with quote

When charging the 12v battery on my 27 Morris Cowley (dynastarter and magneto ignition, neg earth) is it necessary to disconnect both (or any) battery leads?
Thanks
Mike
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

With the car at rest with the engine and ancillaries switched off the battery is not connected to anything and you can safely connect a charger to it.

Peter
Miken

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Peter.
MN
jp928

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a garage queen - doesnt get enough usage - and I keep a trickle charger on it while parked. I used a charge socket like a cigarette lighter socket, with a positive connection centre (2 brass blades that accept a pin like a headphone plug) , and concealed it under the rear licence plate, connected to the battery with a fused line. Its connection is such that I have to walk over it to get to the car, so I dont forget to remove it. With a direct battery connection I can isolate the battery from the rest of the car if necessary to do work, but still leave the charger connected.
Like this plug, and socket to suit, with a cap.
http://www.arindustrialsupplies.com.au/narva-thermoplastic-merit-accessory-plug-82108bl.html
jp 26 Rover 9
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: