classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Morris Eight cylinder head bolt torque
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Mark_S

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Morris Eight cylinder head bolt torque Reply with quote

Dear forum members,

my 1938 Morris Eight is leaking some water between cylinder and cylinder head.

I was checking my handbooks and docs, but could not find an indication concerning bolt torque.

Can anyone recommend a value before I start disassembling everything?

Best regards

Mark
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark

The following link will take you to a guide on torquing the M8 head gasket, it's about halfway down the page, click on the image it to enlarge :

http://morrisregisterspares.co.uk/?product=gh680-morris-8-s12-head-gasket-fully-swagged-water-apertures

There have been some really poor quality head gaskets in circulation for the Morris 8, some are marked as made in NZ and they often seep water.
cheers

Dave
Mark_S

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
Hi Mark

The following link will take you to a guide on torquing the M8 head gasket, it's about halfway down the page, click on the image it to enlarge :

http://morrisregisterspares.co.uk/?product=gh680-morris-8-s12-head-gasket-fully-swagged-water-apertures

There have been some really poor quality head gaskets in circulation for the Morris 8, some are marked as made in NZ and they often seep water.
cheers

Dave

Got a very old OES kit I guess still with forbidden materials. and a newer one. Let's see. Thanks a lot for the fast reply.

Best regards

Mark
bjacko

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Morris 8 Cylinder Head Nuts torque Reply with quote

The figure quoted is for studs etc in good condition, if your studs are rusty and maybe "thinned" a lower torque would be better or you may well snap a stud. How many times have you heard someone who has snapped a stud say "but I was using the correct torque"?
Mark_S

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Morris 8 Cylinder Head Nuts torque Reply with quote

bjacko wrote:
The figure quoted is for studs etc in good condition, if your studs are rusty and maybe "thinned" a lower torque would be better or you may well snap a stud. How many times have you heard someone who has snapped a stud say "but I was using the correct torque"?

The previous owner seems to have used threaded studs cut to length. When I made the first 90° turn after touching ground the first one broke.

I ordered already complete new set. Sometimes it is frightening when you see what people put together.

Mark
bjacko

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:43 am    Post subject: Morris 8 cylinder head torque Reply with quote

sounds like they used general purpose threaded bar of dubious quality. With the correct studs and new nuts it should be fine. Remember the torque figure is "dry" torque i.e. no lubrication on the threads.
Mark_S

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done and tight. Got the cylinder head milled flat before.

Might have to run it now with V-Power or other 100+ Octane fuel.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Thanks again for your comments and recommendations.

Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: