classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Rear lights disco. :(
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
SPCK111

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Rear lights disco. :( Reply with quote

Hi all

Can someone tell me what I've done wrong?. I'm getting disco lights on the rear. If I'm indicating then it's fine until I put the brakes on of the headlights when I then get red flashing disco lights to the rear. The thick blue wire coming from the van side seems only to make the rear lights work if it's connected to the white wire or a negative feed otherwise all I get iis the front running lights and the front dicitors. No rear lights at all. I'm a bit confused as it seems fairly straight forward to wire up. I've checked the car electrics with my other trailer and they all work find so I'm taking it the van electrics have a bit of an issue. Smile

Any help would
Be great. It's a 1960's Stirling carlight two birth.

Kind regards

David
emmerson

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably just a poor earth contact, maybe in the plug?
SPCK111

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm beginning to think that way....I've put a new plug on the van and checked the car hook up. All fine. I think I'm just going to replace the entire wiring loom. The wiring goes from the car into the front locker there there's a plastic block connector connecting it to another 7 core lead which runs into the van ( for the side markings and front running flight to be connected). In the van there's another block connector which runs back outside underneath the van into the frame rails to the back of the van and into a side locker where's there's yet another block connector which connects to the rear lights. From a lot of googling it seems the wire which runs inside the frame rails tends to rub on the metal causing a short making the lights go all disco which is exactly what I'm seeing so hopefully if I replace all this wiring and a set of rear lights that should sort the problem. Wiring probably 40 -50 years old now.

Now I have another question. Is it just the 7 wires coming from the car that runs everything. Do I need a further earth on the van or any other wiring? There are other wires for the side markers and front running lights but they are easy to hook up once I have the main lights running I think. Apologies for all the questions but it's my first caravan. Have a 1977 VW T2 before and that's a whole other ballgame. Smile

Kind regards

David
Penman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
If you are runnning anything more than standard side/rear lights, brake lights, indicators and interiors without a caravan battery; then I would suggest you need a 12s plug and socket as well as the 12N. see this doc.

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/media/1022790/towbar-wiring-mo.pdf

I could suggest the modern 13 pin setup but that wouldn't be directly compatible with your other trailer without a converter link.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
SPCK111

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it's just the road running lights I'm running. So that's all I need to get sorted. Hopefully a new set of wires should sort it. I've got a single 7pin socket on the car and trailer. I don't carge the van batteries when I'm
Driving I just charge them via 240v hookup
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: