classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Curing blow-by
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
trampintransit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject: Curing blow-by Reply with quote

So...Engine been laid up for unknown period. Been running on and off during body restoration over two years. Engine always seemed great...now it's on the road however it's become clear it's blowing-by ..big time. ...smoke pours out if the crankcase breather and rocker cover vents at speed, even more so under load.

... After about a hundred miles or so I'd have thought that if it was sticky rings, they'd have started to free off by now? I've still to try the releasant / seafoam / atf whatever down the hot bores and leave it overnight ..but I'm not holding out for that one.

So...to what extent am I rebuilding the engine to cure the problem? I've never done this before so I'm a bit clueless. .. Can I just get away with honing the bores with the engine in the car? If not ...can it be rebored in situ by clever people with clever tools? ( It is by all accounts a absolute of an engine to get out ) ...the pistons are gonna have to be dropped so...can the shells be reused? ..

This is gonna be expensive isn't it?
peter scott

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the pistons need to be taken out the bottom then you need to know if you can get them past the crankshaft. If not then you really need the engine out to remove the crank.

If you can get the pistons out there is no problem honing the bores assuming that all they need is glaze busting so that the new rings bed in. Clearly you will need to clean out any hone dust from the crank and crankcase before reassembly.

There used to be firms that offered re-boring in situ but I can't say I've seen anyone offering that service recently.

The shells can certainly be reused if you had good oil pressure before you started but replace them in the same places as them came from.

Peter
trampintransit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thnks for that..I've been tossing all manner of stuff down the bores the last few days to see if it free the rings ( If it IS stuck rings)

What surprises me is that the plugs come out clean as a whiste? Surely if the rings were knackered or the bores really worn then I'd expect the plugs to be black n sooty?
petelang

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compression test first. Maybe it's just one cylinder? Maybe valve guides?
Peter
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

petelang wrote:
Compression test first. Maybe it's just one cylinder? Maybe valve guides?
Peter
Combined with a vacuum test, if the rings are worn or you will get a low reading at idle.

Both simple tests that can be performed quickly & cheaply. If you have access to a compressor , a leak test would be useful.

Dave
peter scott

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
If you have access to a compressor , a leak test would be useful.

Dave

That's an interesting idea. I'd never thought of that before. Just need to make a spark plug adaptor.

Peter
roverdriver

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, one of the older style spark plugs in which the porcelain is held in place by a threaded ring, as in earlier KLG., is your starting point. The other component is a valve from a tyre inner tube. Disassemble the plug, replace the porcelain with the tyre valve and you have a very inexpensive adapter.
peter scott

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dane, I have a small collection of detachables and might sacrifice one.

I also have this that popped out of a brand new Michelin tube.

Peter

ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leak-down testers have plummeted in price, this one is less than £18 delivered:

Dave
Peter_L

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like a neat piece of Kit and for £18. What's that, a decent bottle of wine ?

There is so much stuff available today, OK some of it can be a bit naff and cheap but I guess it can depend on how often it is going to be used.

I know, for some of us, there is a certain challenge and satisfaction in making things. but perhaps it hawks back to the days when sometimes DIY was the only viable option.

I remember my Dad turning up oak pulleys and cutting side plates out of old bits of chassis to make pulley blocks for our first scaffold pole tripod used to pull the engine from his first 105E. My hydraulic engine crane cost me $180 Cdn about £100. I used it not so long ago to help pull a tree stump and once used it to hold up a deck on our house while I put in a new support pillar.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: