classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Jaguar Mk2 or Daimler V8 250?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Jaguar Mk2 or Daimler V8 250? Reply with quote

I imagine that when they were current, the Mk2 and V8 250 would have appealed to different people. Which would you go for? For now ignore any differences in value, and for the sake of ease, comparing the Mk2 2.4 with the 2.5 litre Daimler.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Ashley

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one of those Daimlers, it was a very nice car ruined by the Auto box. Car had only done about twenty thousand with an old lady owner and it leaked oil.
I think later ones did have manual boxes and they needed them IMO.
alastairq

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many decades ago, I had the opportunity to drive both a 2.4 Mk 2 Jagwar, and the Daimler 250 equivalent. [With a view to buying something of that ilk.]

I preferred the Daimler hand -over-fist to the Jag....it appeared [to me] to have much nicer driving characteristics. MAybe it was the difference in engine weight that affected how the car behaved on the road....I don't know for sure.

I also recall the interior being different too...and all the better for it.

I ended up with neither, as it turned out.
Ellis

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a 1964 Jaguar Mark 2, 3.4 litre and have done since 1991 but I have also driven a Daimler V8 - the later 250 model with a manual gearbox and I can confirm that the two models do have different characteristics and road manners.

The Daimler is the nicer car to drive. The Turner V8 engine is smoother than an XK unit and the car steers and handles differently to a Mark 2 and better than it.
The lighter V8 engine reduces understeer and is more responsive in handling and the engine's power delivery is linear rather the "cammy" XK unit.

The interior appointments of the Daimler are of better quality - carpet, seats and so on but you have to make do without a central console and only one rear interior light.

The Daimler is not the poor relative of the Jaguar and did indeed appeal to a different customer, perhaps more genteel and refined like the Daimler itself.
Quentin Willson in his "The Car's the Star" described the Mark 2 as "a car with a bit of previous". The Daimler in my view is a car with connoisseurship and breeding.

The detail differences between a Daimler and Jaguar are numerous.

1964 Jaguar Mark 2 3.4 litre
1962 Land Rover Series 2a 88"
2002 BMW M3 E46 Cabriolet
badhuis

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daimler would be my choice. Would love to experience that small V8.
The Jaguar might probably feel a little underpowered because I am so used to my 420 (great car with good power steering and lovely rear suspension).
I have had the experience of driving both a 3.4 and 3.8 Mk2 and would not exchange them to the 420. Which is a bit unfair because it is comparing two different generations. I think I would like a Mk1 better, a purer design and a bit more distance between that and the 420.
JohnDale

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

badhuis wrote:
Daimler would be my choice. Would love to experience that small V8.
The Jaguar might probably feel a little underpowered because I am so used to my 420 (great car with good power steering and lovely rear suspension).
I have had the experience of driving both a 3.4 and 3.8 Mk2 and would not exchange them to the 420. Which is a bit unfair because it is comparing two different generations. I think I would like a Mk1 better, a purer design and a bit more distance between that and the 420.

Back in the mid 50s when ah worra lad, I was an apprentice at a Jaguar,Rover,Armstrong Siddley dealership. The Mk1 was THE car then & many had road tests with nothing much else to keep up with them - sometimes road tested even if they only came in for a valet - happy memories,cheers,JD.
52classic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MK II for me please. Even back in the day it was a car with a very clear identity. String backed driving gloves, flat cap and a sheepskin coat.

Lovely as it is, I don't remember the Daimler ever having the reputation of the Jag.

They're as different a Terry Thomas and Donald Sinden!
alastairq

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mk2..........getaway car of choice.......?☺
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd be the Jaguar for me too, dark green, wire wheels the same colour, maybe leather bonnet straps and Coombs rear arches. Or a Mk1 in the same spec if I could find one.

RJ
petelang

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You only have to listen......
That V8 sounds absolutely awesome.
Daimler for me any day. The trim level was also superior, as is the case with all Daimlers from the Jag stable.
Peter
mikeC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we are going by noise, I much prefer a straight six to a V8 ... but I would still chose the Daimler over the Jaguar!
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be happy listening to either a straight six or a V8, I'm not keen on the Daimler's grille though, it doesn't sit right for me.

RJ
Rusty

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked on Mk 2s quite a lot when I was younger and always valued every drive I had in them because of their sporty nature and also their reputation, (even though I actually preferred the "S" type), but when I drove the Daimlers I always found them "slow" and even a bit "stodgy"compared to the Jags, but now days my driving tastes have changed and I think the Daimler would suit me better the way I value a good drive now, I got my adrenalin rush driving done years ago.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: