classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Andre Hartford shock absorbers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
Miken

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Andre Hartford shock absorbers Reply with quote

I have just fitted some Andre Hartfords to my 27 Morris.
Any advice on setting them up?
I have information which says that for a car of my weight (approx 950kg) tighten the nut to 16-19 lbs.
Is this foot/pounds?
It seems awfully tight. I started tightening the nut and chickened out when it got to about 10 as it felt like it was going to start to flatten the star washer.
Also,
It says to take the car for a run and make adjustments to suit the ride required.
I dont know what to make of this as i dont know what to expect from a 90 year old car.
Thanks, Mike

Here are the relevant instructions:-
setting the torque on the friction centre nut/bolt is more by trial and error. however we are able to suggest initial torque settings of:
502S - 16 to 19lbs for vehicle weight 600kg to 1000kg,
506S - 23lbs for vehicle weight over 1000kg,
502M - 16 to 19 lbs for vehicle weight 1250kg to 1500kg,
506M - 23lbs for vehicle weight 2000kg.
set the pair of units to the same torque, then take the vehicle for a run and make adjustments (the same to both units) to either tighten or slacken the unit to suit the ride required.
falconriley

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At normal ride height, tighten the centre bolt/nut until the shock is solid.

Support the chassis so the wheels are off the ground, but not under the axles, use axle stands or car hoist etc.

Slacken the centre bolt/nut until the axle starts to drop. Repeat for each shock.

Road test. You may find it needs to be tighter but this is a good place to start.

You will also find performance drops off over time as the friction surfaces wear.

Matthew
Miken

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent.Thank you.
MN
Salopian

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The poundage referred to is I think the pull needed to move the arms measured with a spring balance and with one disconnected. Certainly this is the advice I received and it worked well for me. The alternative of jacking as suggested by Falconriley is also a good method of setting them and saves removing one end.

Incidently my Alvis 12/50 weighs 950 Kg or 19cwt and set at 18 lbs pull they work as well as can be expected.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: