classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Original Numbers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Original Numbers Reply with quote

For my ERF I have the old buff log book and a printed original V5 that says 'rev Jan 76' on it.

I want to get it registered in my name and I have checked on the dvla and it recognises the number and make of vehicle etc so it is therefore on the computer.

Can I simply fill in that old V5 with my details as the new keeper?
Kleftiwallah

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should give it a bash! They will love telling you why you cannot.

Cheers and best wishes. Tony. Confused
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am thinking of filling it in and posting it to them just to see what happens, i just don't want to loose the old v5 if it is not successful. You know what the dvla are like at returning documents!
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have bought a vehicle without the V5, and then simply applied for the V5, I think the DVLA write to the last registered keeper, it was a straight forward process.

Dave
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trouble is with this one is the last owner did not send off for the registration or the one before that. The name on the v5 is the company that owned it from the 50's till it was bought for preservation in the 90's.

I have been told by others that I will have to go through the process of re-claiming the original registration number.

But, my interpretation of that was you only had to do that if the vehicle details weren't transferred over when they went computerised. But having a printed V5 and by looking online the dvla do recognise the number associated with this vehicle.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
Trouble is with this one is the last owner did not send off for the registration or the one before that. The name on the v5 is the company that owned it from the 50's till it was bought for preservation in the 90's.

I have been told by others that I will have to go through the process of re-claiming the original registration number.

But, my interpretation of that was you only had to do that if the vehicle details weren't transferred over when they went computerised. But having a printed V5 and by looking online the dvla do recognise the number associated with this vehicle.

No you won't have to claim the number as it's known to the DVLA Smile what you need to do is a much simpler process, simply fill in a V62 form, I think it costs £25, the DVLA will write to the last keeper that they have on record, if they get no reply or they confirm they no longer own the vehicle, you will get a new V5C.

Dave
troutrunner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
No you won't have to claim the number as it's known to the DVLA Smile what you need to do is a much simpler process, simply fill in a V62 form, I think it costs £25, the DVLA will write to the last keeper that they have on record, if they get no reply or they confirm they no longer own the vehicle, you will get a new V5C.

Dave

That's correct Dave, I have one pending at present, they wrote to me and said the process could take up to 4weeks to issue a V5c.

On the other note of the old blue V5 I think will work and at no cost I believe, correct me if I am wrong, I have this old V5 for the car in question but to me it's worth the £25 to keep another bit of the cars history.

Incidentally I have claimed a couple of V5c documents for two motorcycles without the old V5 which took about 4ish weeks after the DVLA trying to contact the previous known registered owner.
1939 Austin 10.
1955 Austin A30.
1958 Ford 300E van.
1961 Austin A40.
1964 Wolseley Hornet.
1965 Series2a Land Rover.
1968 Wolseley Hornet.
1994 Peugeot 405 Est. 2of.
Nil illegitimi Carborundum
alastairq

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had teh same problem when I 'imported' my Dellow. It had been exported in the early 1990's [for a sum which was more than I paid for it, including shipping, etc and VAT [5%]...someone over the other side was keen????] so was on DVLA's records from that time.

No problem re-acquiring the registration, or a log book [V5c]...the only proviso being, it had to have the Customs clearance shown prior to issue of the document.

HMRC were quite happy to fax the item to the local DVLA office, as all this was done on the very last day the office was open........before being closed down for good. Literally, 10 minutes to four on the Friday afternoon.
Needless to say, HMRC didn't quite make it...but the dox arrived the following week from Swansea anyway.

Not that the car was actually driveable [in my view, anyway] at the time...nearly so, as it turned out.....but not quite.

[It was noted to be the only car with a working brake out of all those released from their containers at Southampton docks...including SS JAgs, Ferraris, Bentleys and lordy-knows what other exotica.....and in the middle, the little white Dellow! Very interesting to go & watch....door-opening day at the shipping agents!]
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think I will go into town tomorrow at lunch and get a V62.
Penman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Just in case your Post Office doesn't have one.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/471730/V62_030815.pdf

Note it only talks about V5Cs so presumably you use the 3rd option in section 3; reason this vehicle has never had a V5C only a V5 which i have.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did wonder if I would be able to download a copy, thanks for that.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes sending off a V62 is the way to go, that way you also keep the old V5 in your history file, although obviously this incurs a cost that simply sending off the V5 with your details on it wouldn't attract.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: