classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

ford pop a and b post and sills
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: ford pop a and b post and sills Reply with quote

This was something I wanted to get done in the winter, not when I want to use the car. But the restorer had a slot so I decided to get it done, besides I was a little worried about the body moving about and the doors had dropped.
I would have liked to do it myself but I just don't have the space to do it inside.
I am hoping I can post some photos, did manage to in my other thread but not sure how and whether I can do it again.
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/img]

a and b posts are now done and sills fitted but the nearside door hit the sill. we knew there was some rust above the top hinge but its now revealed the full extent of the rot. Now being dealt with

Last edited by Paul fairall on Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
alastairq

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done....have you found the wood that Ford nailed the body together with yet? [yes, the Pop really was 'nailed' together.....] Smile
Rootes75

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I repaired the hinges on my 7W I found that the car had been assembled with some very thin slices of wood used as packers behind the hinge. Most had rotted and had therefore allowed the hinge to move a little leading the door to start dropping.
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Collected the car today, probably the worst of the rust was the near side where the door hinges mount but it's all done. Still some adjusting to do but the hinge pins need changing, so ordered four new over sized pins from small ford. In the meantime I will fit the new marine ply floors, have one cut and needs some trimming.
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to have the pop back, took home from the work lock up to cut the new floors. People waving and smiling on the way back.
One corner of the floor needs trimming at an angle because the chassis curves up and the ply needs shaving to about 7mm thick at that point. I had cut out the offside panel and then shaved the wrong face, muppet, so used it for the near side. So cut another for the offside and now ready for pva, primer and topcoat. Put the old floors back for now.
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished priming and gloss on plywood floors, all fitted and sealed some time ago. Replaced hinge pins, made a tool to push out old pins. Doors still well out alignment so back with restorer last week. Dropped by when passing yesterday and the near side which was the worst is much better, but the hinges are moving where they rivet to the door. Some more welding required.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: