classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Meet Arthur
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Meet Arthur Reply with quote

A genius or bodger ! judge for yourself This chap has made literally 100s of videos showing how he repairs accident damaged cars that would never be allowed back on the road in the UK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKRGISRYT4Y

Whatever your thoughts on the finished product you have to admire his skills

Dave
peter scott

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very impressive skill and care! Many million times better than my attempt to remove the "V" that my wife put in the front of our Citroen BX when she ran into a very solid cast iron gate post and I tried to remove the "V" by chaining the front cross member to a substantial post and reversing.

I failed totally and handed it to the professionals.

Peter
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His metal working skills are amazing given the basic tools he works with, and I think they would transition well to classic cars, but there is probably not the same money in Sad

Dave
D4B

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it.

Quite incredible skills.

However, I wouldn't want to own it now!!

Shocked
peppiB

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is reminiscent of the work done by a young chap in a garage near here. His boss would buy in wrecks and using chains (and heat in his case) the cars would be pulled straight, occasionally using a repair panel if the damaged one was beyond repair (not often) The cars were then VOSA checked, sprayed pink (so they were sold to young women who weren't aware what had happened to them) and moved on. Usually 4 to 5 a week were put back on the road with no shortage of buyers.
That garage is no longer there - armed police raided it as it was a front for drug dealing
PAUL BEAUMONT

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over 25 years ago a friend of mine also ran a business repairing similar vehicles. In the hands of an expert, using a body-dozer, amazing things happen. As the vehicle straightens out you can almost watch the accident happening in reverse! Sadly he passed away just as crumple-zones were making things much more difficult!
MrWhite

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great video, thanks for posting. I know people who repair cars and used to repair much more seriously damaged vehicles than they are allowed to now. I have never actually seen it being done from start to finish though and it's a great insight into how it's done and the thought process behind repairing them. As said above though I wouldn't want to own it and I actually think our laws are probably correct (unusual) that things like this shoudn't go back on the road.
Peter_L

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There may be skill, but the wreck should have gone to the crusher.
petelang

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the insurers write vehicles off for a lot less damage than that. It's a crime to see some cars crushed or dismantled for only minor repairable damage. All part of today's "throw away society".
Peter
alastairq

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supply & demand??

When I look back in time to how manufacturers made the things in the first place, I do wonder what all the fuss is about?

I have a late '60's American car....and when I looked into the marque history a bit deeper [more than superficial]....I began to wonder how we all managed to survive out there on the roads? Up until the advent of computer-controlled assembly [and the improvement in manufacturing tolerances that allowed?] , cars were almost 'slammed together'.....with assembly being no better than the mood of the itinerant worker doing it, on the day.

''Near enough'' was ''good enough' in many cases.

The manufacturing skills lay with the engineers who designed the build processes to take into account the unskilled labour actually doing the work.

I used to marvel at the skill of a one-time neighbour , who, [retired] used to rebuild write-offs for 'fun'....mostly things like Fiestas [mk 1 or 2] and stuff. he understood how they were put together in the first place....so a 'shell' could be re-constructed from the sound bits of 2 or 3 others....but he always replaced whole actual panels, rather than half bit, here & there, cutting and welding only along the panel gaps & lines.

Welding, jigging, etc, weren't the sole preserve of Ford or Morris.

My one concern regarding the BMwbbly in the video is...the so-called 'safety cell'....and the special steels used in it's construction [I won't use the word 'creation']....
Still, I suppose, if someone so desperately wants the near-latest must-have BMW or whatever....it's a cheap way in, as long as one does one's best to avoid having a smash?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: