classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Questionable guardianship
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject: Questionable guardianship Reply with quote

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/20932/lot/211/

http://www.prewarcar.com/magazine/previous-features/which-engine-would-fit-best-a-1903-lacoste-battmann-update-keep-it-as-it-is-022015-2.html

While I fully appreciate that this car, like any other, belongs to whoever bought it and as such they can do whatever they want with it, I can't help questioning the veracity with which some people approach historic car ownership.

On one hand, it is encouraging that the new owner chose to ask advice. On the other, it is worrying that someone with evidently little experience should be asking these questions at this level.

I say that hopefully a rethink will reflect the opinion of most enthusiasts and this exquisite veteran car will be left "as is".
peter scott

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could make a really unique banger racer but better with a bigger engine.

Peter Rolling Eyes

NOT!
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I think how much care and attention I could devote to a car like that and still keep it nice and original it makes me wince when I read comments like those of the new owner. Crying or Very sad

I don't suppose the chap is a bad person - he is probably just not yet educated enough to appreciate the real thing when he sees it.

He probably encountered a steep learning curve if some of the responses are anything to go by.

Give me strength!!!!
colwyn500

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old phrase "more money than sense" applies here I think. Sad
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just recently I took a look on Google Earth at the house where I grew up. It is a lovely old property dating back hundreds of years and I can remember spending a summer holiday (over 40 years ago) helping my Dad rebuild the roof and refitting the old clay peg tiles. To my horror, some idiot has replaced that beautiful ancient roof with modern concrete tiles which are all the same shape and colour and give the old place a "modern" look. I could have cried. Actually when I found they had also replaced all the wavey glass in the windows with modern plate glass I did shed a tear.

I just see the comparison with this car and if my hunch is right before long it will appear with a shiny new paint job and brand new leather.

Maybe some Wolfrace wheels and dirty great V8 engine can be shoehorned in and there you have it. Another hot rod.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: