classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Hotrods Again
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Ashley

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to hotrods.

I expect this is hiding a later V8, it looks superb and it's at Prescott

Rootes75

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not keen on Hot Rods to be honest but some of the American oily rag stuff is very nice. The stuff I don't quite like is the UK Ford Pop type of things.
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashley wrote:
As far as I can tell, most current hotrods are build from scrap or incomplete cars, probably because original and unspoiled ones are very valuable anyway.

My son's car has a later door one side and was probably written off in an accident to the rear left side for example.

Those of you who've seen American car programs have probably seen the huge scrapyards they have over there and how in the drier States nothing rusts. Parts are plentiful and quite a few NOS. Apart from fuel consumption, old Americans make a lot of sense, especially prewar when they were light years ahead of us.
nice car Ashley, I would like an American car but don't know if I will ever get one. What I don't understand is why a Chevy engine when a ford v8 would be more in keeping. I fella brought a ford 40 coupe in to where I work a while back, lovely car in great condition but had a Chevy engine, I asked him why and he said they go better. So what I thought, he doesn't race it and only drives it to shows where it stands in a field all day, boring.
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minxy wrote:
The one single thing that winds me up is seeing projects on e-bay and the like that have been started but not finished. If people take a car and chop it about and produce a finished article I see no real problem - I think some of them look stunning and I admire the work and expense put into them, it's the unfinished ones that make me tut. There was a Lanchester LD 10 for sale recently like mine that had been striped and chopped and had a V8 sort of shoe-horned in. I contacted the chap to see if any of the parts he had removed were for sale but he thrown them away, engine, gearbox, bumpers, interior etc etc.....criminal in my opinion.
all the parts I've removed from my Ford pop, Dynamo and coil due to 12v conversion, rear lights were toast, rusted beyond repair, teddy bear ears indicators etc I have kept in a box to go with the car should I sell it. I am making modifications to my car as I go along but it will look pretty much standard and will keep the engine gearbox and running gear. This winter it will get some mods to make it go better and stop better. I read that the hot rod boys offered the sidevalve club parts from their rodded pops and they turned their noses up at the offer. Cutting off their noses to spite their faces, silly sods.
Ashley

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the problem with this discussion is that people may not realise how broad the term Hotrod is. It's an American term to describe performance modified cars, albeit mostly, but definitely not exclusively associated with drag strips.

I mentioned Taildraggers which were really a form of art but there are famous Indianapolis cars and other racers that Americans call hot rods and would probably be well liked here.

Those that don't like them automatically assume they're all ugly and not necessarily competent specials, so maybe, as Rick's cut off point is 1980, it's best to consider VIntage Hot Rod Association cars and ignore later ones.

It's best not to get hung up on ugly specials because you might miss something rather special.

MrWhite

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about these; http://singervehicledesign.com/
got to admire the engineering. Good bit of modernising but keping the original look and possibly improving it Horses for courses of course but I have to admit I like Embarassed

Also fell in love with this a couple of years ago; http://customcarsworld.com/ultimate-custom-built-steampunk-hot-rod/
It looks like the builder has since gone bust and there a a few aggrieved people looking for their cars and money, however workmanship and style of this are just amasing, IMHO of course Rolling Eyes
Ashley

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This rather concours up the image.

alastairq

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not forgetting the ''Lakes' cars...Moon discs, & stuff?? Yum!
BigJohn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I park this article here please ;

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2017/09/14/legendary-deuce-roadster-allegedly-established-the-quarter-mile-standard-by-beating-a-quarter-horse/?refer=news Cool
MrWhite

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little thread resurrection, hope people don't mind. What's the latest on Hot Rod ownership in the UK. I know regulations are changing and I have seen a few things at cheaper prices than I would normally expect, would it be foolish to consider buying one at present? I am talking something that has been on the road before, probably less likely to be unfinished/ un-registered.
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't consider buying anything without a V5 that is correct to the car as it is. No telling what will happen until next May
GARAGE HERMIT

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul fairall wrote:
I wouldn't consider buying anything without a V5 that is correct to the car as it is. No telling what will happen until next May

what's happening "next may",?
Ashley

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you can prove your Hotrod was built before 1988, you’re safe, so the best way to get one is to import one that’s done or nearly done.

My son has done a few and so have his friends. The ones that come from the States often look good but need properly building. They look the best though.

All parts are amazingly cheap, excellent quality and available. American stuff is so beautifully made and durable.
MrWhite

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, that's good information, I will see what I can come up with Very Happy
Whitegoatie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul fairall wrote:
Ashley wrote:
As far as I can tell, most current hotrods are build from scrap or incomplete cars, probably because original and unspoiled ones are very valuable anyway.

My son's car has a later door one side and was probably written off in an accident to the rear left side for example.

Those of you who've seen American car programs have probably seen the huge scrapyards they have over there and how in the drier States nothing rusts. Parts are plentiful and quite a few NOS. Apart from fuel consumption, old Americans make a lot of sense, especially prewar when they were light years ahead of us.
nice car Ashley, I would like an American car but don't know if I will ever get one. What I don't understand is why a Chevy engine when a ford v8 would be more in keeping. I fella brought a ford 40 coupe in to where I work a while back, lovely car in great condition but had a Chevy engine, I asked him why and he said they go better. So what I thought, he doesn't race it and only drives it to shows where it stands in a field all day, boring.

I think its because the Chevy engine has been around forever, has proved reliable and easy to maintain. Also, because its been around for ever and the engine of choice, the range of aftermarket cosmetic and tuning parts is phenomenal. So plenty of shiny bits to polish and attract an audience at shows.

Not that I have any personal experience of this.

The flat head Ford V8 is also a popular choice for cars looking to recreate an authentic 40's and 50's look.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: