classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

ACE brand spare wheel cover prewar Armstrong Siddeley
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
greenbeam

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:58 am    Post subject: ACE brand spare wheel cover prewar Armstrong Siddeley Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
I'm looking for some rubber buffers for the ACE spare wheel cover on my 1935 Armstrong Siddeley. The buffers are 23mm diameter, 19mm high and have a 6mm hole in the centre. I have checked Complete Automobilist/Paul Beck without luck, and have scouted the normal rubber merchants. Does anyone have suggestions for a source?

Failing that, I have two options; one is to use a tapered chair tip 22mm x 22mm and try to remove the nail in the centre and drill the 6mm hole, or use a 38mm x 20mm buffer, perhaps trying to trim the diameter if it fouls on anything.

Merry Christmas,
Paul.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon you're going to have to get a bit creative with this one, but IMO there's nothing wrong with modding standard hardware to keep an old car alive.

How about something like this, packed with washers underneath: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/22mm-Black-Rubber-Toilet-Seat-Buffer-Pads-PACK-OF-10-Large-Furniture-Bathroom/191802976521?hash=item2ca8592909:g:4pQAAOSwA4dWHNZY

Or possibly these could be adapted: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-X-Speaker-Cabinet-Furniture-Table-Box-Conical-Rubber-Foot-Stand-Shock-Absorber/361853113431?hash=item5440205457:m:mHpJELoqHBAI0iCKfxiIXDQ
petelang

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul.
Have you contacted the ASOC stores? They do have a surprising stock of bits and Nick Bale has extensive knowledge of where to get other parts. Well worth a try first.
Peter
greenbeam

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gents.

Pete, I will give Nick a call in the new year to see what he has. He has already helped me out with the gear selector knob for the car. It was a pleasant surprise to find the stores have them.

Mr Bitumen Wink, thanks for the pointers, I'm struggling to get 19mm high with only 23mm diameter. If the club stores can't help, I may go to a larger diameter in order to get the height needed. I don't think I'll admit to using toilet seat buffers though. Just wouldn't be proper on such a car Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: