classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

The deal is done..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rootes75

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: The deal is done.. Reply with quote

Well, after around a year of saving and emails/calls etc I finally sealed the deal on my next commercial project.

I was told about the lorry a long while back and once I found out its history I was quite determined to go for it. When I say lorry I mean the remains of the lorry, stripped but all there, the chassis is rolling and all mechanical are dry stored, the timber frame of the cab is gone but we have access to patterns.

The lorry itself is a 1946 ERF C.I.5 (compression ignition 5 cylinder), meaning she is fitted with a Gardner 5LW engine.

She's very rare and was new to a company only about 10 miles from us, even after all the vehicles we have done to say I'm excited I would say is understated!
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear of another old lorry being saved Cool Look forward to reading all about it.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
kevin2306

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic news, look forward to the project.

Kevin
Rootes75

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to finish my Commer first but that's coming on well.

It does get you excited finding a new project. Looking forward especially to mastering the ash frame cab. I like learning something new.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its taken a long time to arrange but both the vendor and myself have not been in a hurry but this coming Saturday my father and I are making the 400 mile round trip in the van to pick up all the stripped down parts for the next project lorry. I have found a local haulier who will pick up the rolling chassis as a back load in the new year.
Still working hard on the Commer, as we now have to wait for the spring to paint I am getting as many other jobs finished as I can. Currently I am finishing the body, I have rescued and repaired as many of the original floor boards as I can so am now ordering new timber to finish the bed.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After such a long time, my new project, the 1946 ERF was delivered tonight. Well, the rolling chassis and engines etc. There's not much there but i enjoy a challenge and love the thought of saving something so important.
troutrunner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance of some pics. I love commercials Very Happy
1939 Austin 10.
1955 Austin A30.
1958 Ford 300E van.
1961 Austin A40.
1964 Wolseley Hornet.
1965 Series2a Land Rover.
1968 Wolseley Hornet.
1994 Peugeot 405 Est. 2of.
Nil illegitimi Carborundum
Rootes75

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will take some pics the next time I am down the yard in daylight. Saying that, the lorry is completely stripped so its just a rolling chassis, engine in various boxes and cab parts etc in various boxes!
troutrunner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's ok, it would be nice to follow your progress in a restoration thread. Very Happy
1939 Austin 10.
1955 Austin A30.
1958 Ford 300E van.
1961 Austin A40.
1964 Wolseley Hornet.
1965 Series2a Land Rover.
1968 Wolseley Hornet.
1994 Peugeot 405 Est. 2of.
Nil illegitimi Carborundum
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
I will take some pics the next time I am down the yard in daylight. Saying that, the lorry is completely stripped so its just a rolling chassis, engine in various boxes and cab parts etc in various boxes!

Is there much history with the lorry, or photos of when it was in service?

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Rootes75

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick, I have no photos whatsoever of the lorry although I have contacted a lot of people and previous owners so awaiting responses.
The history is not thorough but what I have is very important. The story is that for a couple of years I have been looking for my next commercial project as my Commer is nearing completion. I have been looking for a lorry with an ash frame cab and have always liked the look of the early postwar ERF's. I enquired about a few over time but the prices even for extremely rough stuff was all £5k +.
So, after a while I sort of gave up a bit until a friend on Flickr told me about a rough one up in Cambridge (220 miles from us). I made contact with the seller and when in conversation he asked where I was calling from and when I said Glastonbury, Somerset he chuckled and said the ERF was registered in Somerset! What a shock to find a local lorry so far away, we had to save it! I have since found that the lorry was registered new in 1946 to a company 7 miles or so from us in Shepton Mallet. And to top that it ran out of a quarry that my Dad sometimes drove out of!
Its a small world and I am really finding the history of this one fascinating, I have already been invited to the quarry open days when the lorry is finished (if they can wait that long!!).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: