classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Electrical systems disrtibution point
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
Kleftiwallah

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Electrical systems disrtibution point Reply with quote

Good morning members,
excuse this seemingly daft question but...

Where is the electrical power distributed to all the electrical systems in a vintage vehicle? I mean, the head lights, side lights brake lights, horn etc.

Cheers, Tony.
Rolling Eyes
peter scott

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

High Tony,

If it doesn't have a fuse box then the lights come from the light switch and ignition and brake lights etc come from the ignition switch.

If it does have fuses then they are simply supplied from the lighting switch and ignition switch.

The lighting switch will be connected directly to the battery as will the ignition switch.

Peter
Kleftiwallah

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Peter very much for that informative answer. Yes it does have a fuse box/board.

Cheers, Tony.
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wiring circuits in pre-1930 vehicles were incredibly primitive but adequate for the time, It took till the 70's in the UK to move on to slightly more sophisticated systems mainly because of the electronics etc. If these are not present stick with existing but supplemented with discrete fusing
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
jp928

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Rover 9 came with no wiring AT ALL, so I had to start from scratch. Fortunately it did come with a wiring diagram, so I knew where the lights etc came from . The central switch panel (Lucas CS6) with the ammeter in it had Side, Head, Dyn, Off switches, and housed a cut out to isolate the dynamo when not running. I built up a 'distribution' fuse block from a Narva block, adding points for battery in (outside the starter circuit), and fuses for each function, as well as items not originally fitted - stop lights and turn indicators. Also added a main battery lead isolator as a safety item, and to make it harder to steal. Strangely, to me, the system is Neg earth, as evidenced by the red positive lead out of the dynamo, with no other leads present (shown on wiring diagram though). Spare engine dynamo is the same, so its not an aberration.
jp 26 Rover 9
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: