classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Help with a trailer restoration
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
winchman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Help with a trailer restoration Reply with quote

I am currently restoring a 1930's trailer and was wondering how to secure the tail gate, when did Antiluce fasteners first be come available?
What did we use in the 30's?
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I've not had chance to reply to your email as yet.

If you look on http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/trailers.htm you'll see a rear photo of the trailer I rescued a couple or so years ago, it has a drop pin arrangement on the fold-down tailgate. Anything like that would look the part.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
winchman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
Sorry I've not had chance to reply to your email as yet.

If you look on http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/trailers.htm you'll see a rear photo of the trailer I rescued a couple or so years ago, it has a drop pin arrangement on the fold-down tailgate. Anything like that would look the part.

RJ

Thanks I have only found your page and its been a god send, very little about on trailer history, I want to keep it as original as I can but its still got to be usable
winchman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a picture paints a thousand words, I feel I could easily make those but swap between an antiluce and pin arrangement for shows as the pin isn't really the safest arrangement
winchman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had much time or good weather only time to think about it.
I still fancy the angle iron uprights but would you weld them on or bolt them? Whilst I want it to look period I also need it to be safe, reliable and easy to construct.
When I carry the bike I can remove the tail gate and just unbolt the front timber panels as its longer than the body.
I think its going to be lawn mower green with a 30's style sort of logo on the side, do we have a sign writer in the house?
I quite fancy Shelby Industrys from the Peaky Blinders?
roverdriver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just spent quite some time looking for photos of my vintage trailer, taken while it was being rebuilt. Alas, I can't find the pictures. The outside frame was mostly angle iron, although some parts were made from 1/4" flat steel strip. The wooden floor and sides were bolted to the iron frame. The vertical part of the sides was about 15" high, but the topmost narrow (4") plank was at an outward angle of of about 45 degrees the length of the trailer. The tail board was held by two heavy gate hinges, and kept shut by the simple expedient of a hole through the board on each end, that allowed a piece of tube to pass through it and a pin through the tube. The inner end of the tube was flattened and bolted to the trailer side, the tailboard hole was reinforced with a small metal plate.

When I bought the trailer, the wood was fairly well rotted, but we managed to salvage all of the metal work. It originally had Model T Ford wheels and axle (circa 1926/7), but I changed that for Model A wheels and axle to be the same as the towing car.

The photo below shows it with a tarp covering the load. We were then part way through a 5,000 mile trip with car and trailer, hence the jerry cans on the tow bar.

winchman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally made a start
I have made most of the bits, its going to have two fixed sides, dropdown removable tail gate and a removable front so we can carry a small motor bike.
I have a set of old looking lights I have converted to LED as they had no stop lamp in them. Ebay China kindly provided some vintage number plate lamps for under £2 each!
It will have Antiluce fasteners on the tail gate but this can easily be swapped for pin type if I wanted it more in period.
The issue I have is whilst its 1930's I still need it to be a safe usable trailer and earn its keep so to speak, it will be used for tip runs, auto jumbles etc
I was shocked at the cost of the steel!
Managed to find some brand new pallet collars for a few pounds each that are made form 6ft x 8" wide timber boards so these will be used for the sides, the floors going to be the proper Resin bonded water proof ply as I have some spare
I will keep you posted
troutrunner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photos of your progress as you go along the restoration road would be good Very Happy I would like to find an old trailer and fix it up as you are doing at some point.
1939 Austin 10.
1955 Austin A30.
1958 Ford 300E van.
1961 Austin A40.
1964 Wolseley Hornet.
1965 Series2a Land Rover.
1968 Wolseley Hornet.
1994 Peugeot 405 Est. 2of.
Nil illegitimi Carborundum
winchman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few already, it was a box when I built it but we took that off as it was very shoddy.
I need to fathom out how best to host them as I can't upload straight to the forum.
Classic traders are a nice project as they are also very handy to own, mine will be a bit of an odd ball as we need to be able to have a lid to keep things safe and dry ate the auto jumble, we need to be able to carry a monkey bike and its also used for tip runs and general collections so its taken some thought and planning to get the best solution for what we have to spend. The lucky thing for me was finding a totally original trailer with the correct hitch and a spare wheel.
Its surprising how cheap they are, I only paid £75 with two spare tyres!
I have recently seen a few for about £100 Buy one now before they go up!
When I bought mine a did see a few more for sale these are the only two I can find at the moment
A bit too modern for me but still nice
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Period-Classic-camping-trailer/173069017008?hash=item284bb79fb0:g:MrcAAOSwfHZaSodn
Unusual wish it was near me
https://www.gumtree.com/p/hobbies-collectibles/vintage-petter-engine-on-millatry-trailer-with-small-compressor/1283436465
troutrunner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both are a million miles from me Sad well not quite that far, the one with the Petter engine and compressor for £100 would be worth a look, I think 3stud are Morris if I recall correctly and mid thirties easy clean wheels.

You are right, to buy one now and sit on it till the time comes round to do it up, prices are bound to go up.
1939 Austin 10.
1955 Austin A30.
1958 Ford 300E van.
1961 Austin A40.
1964 Wolseley Hornet.
1965 Series2a Land Rover.
1968 Wolseley Hornet.
1994 Peugeot 405 Est. 2of.
Nil illegitimi Carborundum
winchman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think one on Gumtree before Christmas was in your county?
All I can find at the moment is this?http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/108840785/small-trailer-hitch-and-pin-towing-coupling.html?link=%2Fsearch%3Fkeyword%3Dold%2Btrailer%26sectionId%3D3308
I will post on here if I see one
winchman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

troutrunner wrote:
Both are a million miles from me Sad well not quite that far, the one with the Petter engine and compressor for £100 would be worth a look, I think 3stud are Morris if I recall correctly and mid thirties easy clean wheels.

You are right, to buy one now and sit on it till the time comes round to do it up, prices are bound to go up.

Is this any good to you? Just spotted on Ebay
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Trailer/352300098677?hash=item5206b8e475:g:ec8AAOSwFbpaoVUP
winchman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally made some progress, struggling for space until I sell my modern camping trailer but almost finished the body, Tail gate next.
Takes some thought to make it strong and neat with out welding but progressing slowly
Had a good look at the spare and the spokes look badly corroded who would bespoke it and at what cost?
winchman

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/trailer-vintage-classic-box-towbar-wire-wheels-austin-7-morris-8-1930s-historic/232774676197?hash=item363273aee5:g:W60AAOSw4Q5bAD59
Nice trailer for some one?
Penman

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
50mm or 2"?
It would be useful for purchasers to know.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: